8 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] Carcharodons, An important announcement
OPR8OR
post Jul 3 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 8,726

so, I have just finished reading the badab war IA books. can I just say that these books are worth their weight in gold. amongst the back ground material that captured my imagination was one section and various references to the Carchardons chapter.

So I plan on doing a few minis, and now that FW had released the decal sheet, it will make it even easier.

so, I'm currently away, however I have started doing a terminator with lightning claws, to be apart of "the red wakes" body guard.

pics to come

This post has been edited by OPR8OR: Jun 12 2012, 11:40 AM
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Lextheimpaler
post Jul 3 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #2

Coolbreeze

Member No.: 7,863

Really looking forward to seeing you do this

--------------------
"SIR I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DUEL"

"NO SIR I DO NOT BITE MY THUMB AT YOU, THOUGH I DO BITE MY THUMB SIR"

"Conan What is best in life??" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women"

" IM FIZZZZIIIIINNNN BRUTHA"

QUOTE(J.D.Entropy @ Aug 9 2012, 09:13 PM)

If they ask, you must be prepared to answer the riddle of steel, laugh at their 4 winds and show them what is best in life.

Related question: where can I buy stygian black lotus?

QUOTE(TheOriginalHavoc @ Oct 26 2012, 11:41 AM)

Argo Affleck is the GBU43/B to Phantoms BLU-8/B.

Not that I've actually seen it, so he may actually be closer to Sum of all Fears 'Dirty Bomb'
+Quote Post
Rusty Magos
post Jul 3 2011, 04:40 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,858

This should be great! Looking forward to it!

--------------------
+Quote Post
sheep
post Jul 4 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 153

God damn it!

Why do you have the same ideas as me all the time John! wink.gif

I was just about to send you a FB msg asking what you've been up, guess this answers it smile.gif

Look forward to pics mate.

--------------------
"Oh! My wee-wee seems to have been stricken with rigor mortis"
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Jul 4 2011, 06:54 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(sheep @ Jul 4 2011, 12:43 AM) *

God damn it!

Why do you have the same ideas as me all the time John! wink.gif

I was just about to send you a FB msg asking what you've been up, guess this answers it smile.gif

Look forward to pics mate.

Hey Aaron,

As I'm sure u can see from my fb updates that I'm down in the school of cool. About 3 weeks ago I put together a carchardon termi just to see how it'd look. I put lots of studs on it etc. I was pretty pleased with the outcome, but wasn't looking forward to painting a shark on the marines shoulder. So when I saw that fw have done the decals for them, I was wrapped. So when I get back I'll put some pics up. I've also finished my leman Russ tank company, but haven't taken pics cos the light hadn't been that good latley.

Btw, how's ur bite. Hope u punched that mutherf&@ker in the face

I did this post on my iPhone, so I hope it makes sense
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Aug 20 2011, 10:50 AM
Post #6

Ok, first up, some pics...

this is the terminator test model for this army... yes, its not painted... yet... I might get on to that today actually, but you get the idea and direction that I'm heading with this army...

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I want this army to look very scarred (like how sharks in the wild look), ancient, ferocious but calculating...

I'm going to use only FW early Mk marine armour for the list... and the Razor backs are going to be very early variants that I'm going kit bash...

I have ordered the FW Cacharadons decal sheet early this week along with a heap of other stuff form Iron Hands army so I should get it early next week...

I intend on painting this one terminator and getting a feel for the look of the army, then once my CC recovers from my recent holiday I'll purchase the army.

I am going to base the list around a Space Wolf army list... for regular games, and ones where I can use FW rules, I'll use the FW Cacharadons list...

So thanks to Jeremy & Tom yesterday for helping me with coming up with the list...

Here it is

HQ

The Red Wake (Wolf Lord)
-Wolf tooth necklace
-Belt of Russ
-Twin Wolf Claws
-Terminator Armour
-Saga of the Warrior Born

Elites

The Red Wakes possie
-Wolf Guard Pack X 5
-Terminator Armour
-Twin Wolf Claws

Dedicated Transport (Pre Heresy Land Raider)
Land Raider Redeemer
-Multi Melta
-Extra Armour

Troops

Blood Claw Pack X 6 (Mk II Armour)
-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

Dedicated transport
Razor Back
-Lascannon/Twin Plasma guns

-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

Dedicated transport
Razor Back

-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

Dedicated transport
Razor Back

Blood Claw Pack X 5 (Mk III Armour)
-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

Dedicated transport
Razor Back

Fast Attack

Sky Claw Pack X 5 (Mk II Armour)
-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

Sky Claw Pack X 5 (Mk II Armour)
-Power Fist
-Melta Gun

there you have it... so if I get my act together and paint this mini today, or whatever, you may see another post from me on this diary in the next 24hrs... we'll see.

C+C welcome as usual...

This post has been edited by OPR8OR: Aug 20 2011, 10:54 AM
+Quote Post
sheep
post Aug 20 2011, 11:20 AM
Post #7

Looking good John, I really like the studwork on the greave, adds alot of preheresy feel to the model.

Are you going to use the maxmini shoulder pads for more preheresy touches? Or just go with the normal ones for ease?

The list looks ok, just razorspam with some assault marines, but should do ok.

--------------------
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
Arch_Magos_Kasen
post Aug 20 2011, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Tomato
Group Icon

Group: WargamerAU Sponsor
Member No.: 6,619

Nice work, looking forward to this smile.gif

--------------------
Puns about communism aren't funny unless everyone gets them.

Soon there'll be no freedoms left for threatening, then we'll have won the war, take that terrorism! ~ Juice Media
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Aug 20 2011, 05:16 PM
Post #9

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I'm quite pleased with how this is coming along. I'm considering doing the talons of the lightening claws to look like teeth... sharks teeth... that would look cool me tinks...

now... to splatter with blood or not to splatter with blood... hummmm questions questions...

C+C Welcome
+Quote Post
Andoo
post Aug 20 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 4,732

Love the way he is coming along, looks stunning! I really get the impression that they have been through many battles without much of a break.

In terms of blood splatter, if you decide to do it best to keep it to a minimum I think or else the red could draw attention from the grey. Depending upon of course how fresh you want the blood to look. Personally if they were my models, I'd leave it off but that's only because I don't like blood splatters because I find it hard to get it just the way I want. tongue.gif
+Quote Post
sheep
post Aug 20 2011, 08:57 PM
Post #11

Thats why you have test models mate wink.gif

The weathered grey looks lovely btw.

I hope your suspending you disbelief and adding some red eyes, and white freehand/tattoos to the armour to add some interest.

--------------------
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
Mousemuffins
post Aug 20 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #12

Braaaaaiiinnnnss

Member No.: 2,278

Very nice grey. I'm asuming those are pool filter things for the studs on the termies legs?

With all the early Marks of armour, this army should look great. The FW models are great, but beware you may need to re-sculpt the insides of their legs a bit. I have the Mk II armour and a couple of the mould shift issues were quite nasty.

If your opponents fall asleep during game play, at least it's only the army list and not the models that will be boring them to death. smile.gif
+Quote Post
Yaleling
post Aug 21 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 3,852

Ooooh I'm liking where this is going. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Tyranid album.
IG modelling diary.
Salamanders painting diary.

Desperately WTB - 3 eldar vehicle canopies.
+Quote Post
OPR8OR
post Aug 21 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Andoo @ Aug 20 2011, 08:10 PM) *

Love the way he is coming along, looks stunning! I really get the impression that they have been through many battles without much of a break.

In terms of blood splatter, if you decide to do it best to keep it to a minimum I think or else the red could draw attention from the grey. Depending upon of course how fresh you want the blood to look. Personally if they were my models, I'd leave it off but that's only because I don't like blood splatters because I find it hard to get it just the way I want. tongue.gif

Thanks... I tend to agree with the blood... as much as I think it would add a lot to the theme of the army, if done poorly, it will really detract from the mini, and cover up some nice painting...

QUOTE(sheep @ Aug 20 2011, 08:57 PM) *

Thats why you have test models mate wink.gif

The weathered grey looks lovely btw.

I hope your suspending you disbelief and adding some red eyes, and white freehand/tattoos to the armour to add some interest.

Ok, Aaron, Carcharadons have black eyes... (nice try tho biggrin.gif )
IPB Image
as for the ink... I'm down with it,I'm going to wait an see what comes on the FW decal sheet next week and reserve my decision

QUOTE(Mousemuffins @ Aug 20 2011, 10:07 PM) *

Very nice grey. I'm asuming those are pool filter things for the studs on the termies legs?

With all the early Marks of armour, this army should look great. The FW models are great, but beware you may need to re-sculpt the insides of their legs a bit. I have the Mk II armour and a couple of the mould shift issues were quite nasty.

If your opponents fall asleep during game play, at least it's only the army list and not the models that will be boring them to death. smile.gif

yeah, the studs are from a $10 water purifier cartridge that I got from bunnings... its a lifetime supply trust me.

Thanks for the int on the FW mods... not sure when I'm going to get them yet... I spend a small fortune on minis, so I think I'm going to cut back a bit... Plus, I have a massive amount of painting ahead of me with my Iron Hands

As for the list... yeah, I agree, its a boring as ten boring things... plus, its not really in keeping with the fluff, nor would I really enjoy playing it. I've changed it... got scouts in it now, plus some other cool sh!t. It might not be super competitive, but it will be fun to paint and play with... thanks for saying what I was feeling

QUOTE(Yaleling @ Aug 21 2011, 07:40 AM) *

Ooooh I'm liking where this is going. biggrin.gif

same here!

OK, some pics

I went over a friend of mines house last night for a big painting/40k session... hes a hardcore modeller and I've been trying to encourage him to get some of his minis on this site, but hes a bit tech challenged. Which is a pitty cos his Nurgle CSM army is quite a site to behold... anyways, so I finished up this bad a$$ last night

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

thoughts?

C+C welcome
+Quote Post
sheep
post Aug 21 2011, 06:41 PM
Post #15

Not digging the wolverine style bone claws TBH. Silver with blood, or power weapon blue or red would look better IMO.

Good:
-the grey perfect
-weathering perfect

Bad:
-no focal point, I know that the eyes are supposed to be black, but atm my eyes are drawn to the claws not the head. Red eyes dammit.
-the claws, wouldn't know that you were emulating shark teeth unless I read you previous post.
-the brass/gold, really flat, needs another highlight, or continuing the weathering theme, some verdigris.
-basing, needs some grass/snow/corpses

That's what I think anyway smile.gif Feel free to ignore any and all suggestions.

--------------------
- Stewy (Family Guy)

Forlorn hope, My blog.
+Quote Post
Andoo
post Aug 21 2011, 07:30 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 4,732

I agree with sheep about the claws and that's about all, now I'll explain why.

When I look at the FW image of the Charchardons, to me they make their armour seem like a sharks body so its supposed to look dull and unassuming, (not saying your model looks dull opr8or I'm just making the comparison to sharks).
The brass should be the brightest parts of their armour and I think it's fine how it is because it shows they tend to the machine spirits of the armour but not show it off like some Chapters like the Ultramarines or Howling Griffons.
Eyes, visors, etc should always be a focal point to draw you into a a model and since they can be hard to see on a terminator, something needs to be done. Maybe you could have a look at some pictures of sharks and their eyes to get an idea on how yours should look. I think Quinn from Jaws said it best: "ever looked into a shark's eyes chiefy? Look like dolls eyes."
I'm sure when you put the decals on, it will flesh out the model much more.

Looking great and can't wait to see more!!
+Quote Post
Jagged Tooth Grin
post Aug 21 2011, 08:54 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 4,158

looking good chief. my criticisms would be the following:
not sure i like the red trim on the claws. for 'teeth' style claws, i'd just use bone all the way down with a few thin white streaks. i also think the skulls on the claws need a bit more definition (they look very unfinished at the moment)
and the eyes really should get a darkening and a gloss varnish to make them look more black, and less 'grey shoulderpad'
perhaps adding a bit of either bone, brass, or dark grey, to the face would help draw attention up from the legs and claws

aside from that, everything looks tops, the battle damage and greys are wicked. this is how i'd want to do a marine army if i had the skills.

--------------------
Don't Mention The Warstore
+Quote Post
BoBo
post Aug 22 2011, 11:14 AM
Post #18

Republic of BoBostan

Member No.: 3,020

He's very nice, I love the weathering and battle damage but I agree the "bone claws" don't look quite right. If a bone colour is what you're after there could a bleached bone highlighted with dheneb stone look better? The white is pretty stark contrast as it is.

+1 to red eyes. They would make this guy look truely fearsome.

Nonetheless, armata_PDT_34.gif more please?

--------------------
The Artist Formerly Known As

"The most consistently insane looking person I've ever seen" - Chaplain Fortis

Promethean Forge
+Quote Post
agent_venom
post Aug 22 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 4,048

Yes, I agree with the others about the eyes and the claws. Bone blades look un finished and the red on them looks bad.

the face/helmet looks unfinished with black lenses. I would go for some colour just to draw some attentiong and make it looke like its finished.

Other then those two things it looks nice, the battle damge looks good specially.

--------------------
Hard work never killed anyone... But why take the chance?
+Quote Post
Lazarus992
post Aug 22 2011, 01:38 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,248

I like the white claws they looks nice and different.

--------------------
Space Hulk tyranids

Ultra Marines Scout Army

Radio Controlled Land Raider

Rogue Trader Ultra Marines

Rogue Trader Dark Angels

1st Company Blood Angels

Crimson Fists

Bel-Tan Eldar

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 10:42 AM