6 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Exemplary - Grand Exemplar Kreoss Army Blog
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:26 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 2,730

Ever since the very first black and white edition of Warmachine I have been enamored with the Knights Exemplar. They, and the story of Sulon, are what drove me to the Protectorate.

But I don't consider myself a Menoth player.

I am a Kreoss player. I field only the eKreoss Tier army.

You know what?

It's awesome.

IPB Image

A few notes before I begin.

The plan is to discuss each component of the army in turn - what role it fills in the army, what its strengths are, what I've found on paper that differs from practice.

The models are mostly painted by me, but anything that looks halfway decent is probably pro-painted. I've never considered myself a painter, but I have a very strong opinion on what I want my models to look like. Individually they may look poo but as a cohesive force I think they look epic.

Core List

I consider the below to be the minimum of what constitutes the "eKreoss" army.

Army Name: eKreoss 35
Protectorate of Menoth
Theme Force: Crusaders of Sul Tier 4
35+6 points, 36 models

Grand Exemplar Kreoss +6 points
* Fire of Salvation 9 points

Daughters of the Flame 5 points
6 Exemplar Errants 5 points
* Exemplar Errant Officer & Standard 2 points
High Exemplar Gravus 5 points
Knights Exemplar 5 points
Knights Exemplar Seneschal

Additional Rules

Knights Exemplar units gain Advance Move.
Add 2" to your deployment.

--------------------
Project Tiny - 10mm Tinymans & Uncharted Seas
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:32 AM
Post #2

Let's start with these guys.

IPB Image

Knights Exemplar

These are the core of the army, its heart and soul.

For a mere five points you get six uber badass elite infantry weaponmasters who just get more and more powerful as the unit gets hurt.

The Army tier bonus means they get a free advance move.

They form the front rank of my army. At five points for six they are actually fairly cheap for how difficult they are to kill. They're easy to hit but their armour goes up pretty quickly, especially as they are usually the beneficiaries of Kreoss' buffs.

It will astonish people how quickly they can get across the table. On the first turn you have them starting 7" beyond normal deployment. And then they run and they're already at midfield.

They also murder anything that tries to fight them. And when they die, well, that just makes the rest of the army madder...

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:36 AM
Post #3

I use these guys completely differently than you might think...

IPB Image

Exemplar Errants

The Errants are what passes for subtle in the Exemplar ranks. They are capable woodsmen and have Advance Deployment.

Which I ignore.

Because they are actually fantastic bodyguards.

With the Purity banner and self sacrifice abilities, there is no better unit suited for the thankless task of keeping the warcaster alive.

I typically deploy these guys in an arc around Kreoss. They cannot be targetted by enemy spells and I effectively get to choose who lives and who dies. This means I can keep models blocking lines of sight/movement where I need them. They have ranged attacks so they can continue to contribute to the battle even when they are baby-sitting the warcaster. They can also hit almost as well as regular Knights Exemplar so I can throw them into battle as a reserve force if necessary.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #4

Kreoss' character jack synergises beautifully with this army.

IPB Image

Fire of Salvation

I always liked Crusaders, they were cheap, no-frills jacks that did nothing except move forward and smash things into paste. Mk II made them even cheaper.

Then I got an awesome character Crusader that was better at both!

Fire of Salvation is, like many other components of the army, surprisingly fast. You can basically guarentee he will have Righteous Vengeance every turn and this gives him an amazing amount of mobility. And then he smashes things to bits with a huge hammer.

If there is something big to kill, Fire of Salvation will kill it for you.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:43 AM
Post #5

I suck with cavalry.

IPB Image

High Exemplar Gravus

He is basically just in the list because he makes the entire army immune to knockdown/stationary. It's difficult to protect him when he's mounted because his horse is a large base so I wish I could get a discount and buy the dismounted version...

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:47 AM
Post #6

U mad bro?

IPB Image

Yes I am THE SENESCHAL OF MAD

Exemplar Seneschal

Pros:
  • He's free
  • He gets mad and more powerful
  • He heals when his bros die, meaning your opponent has to carefully consider their attacks to make sure that the Seneschal dies last, or they waste actions.

Cons:

None!

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 10:53 AM
Post #7

But how do you win if your guys keep moving down the board and dying?

IPB Image

Daughters of the Flame

This is how.

Another unit with Advance Deployment.
Another unit that does not deploy upfield.

The Daughters of the Flame are the knockout punch. Combined with eKreoss' feat, they do a minimum 3 points of damage per model.

That's eighteen automatic points of damage if the whole unit charges something.

They have Acrobatics so they can jump straight over models and ignore free strikes. With their 7" Movement they have a healthy threat range. If I can keep them protected long enough to get within striking distance of the enemy warcaster, that's game.

Isn't it brilliant that they're in eKreoss' tier list? biggrin.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jan 3 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #8

Friendly Cutthroat

Member No.: 2,056

Bloody wenches! Great read dude, nice work smile.gif

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
Australian tabletop game studio launching Mecha Strike Arena, 10mm gladiatorial arena combat
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 11:39 AM
Post #9

The main man

IPB Image

Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Kreoss is simultaneously the most important and most useless part of the army.

His Aegis grants all Exemplar models immunity to continuous effects, so you don't have to fear things like Bile Thralls etc which would wipe the army out in a single stroke.

His presence enables the aggressive expanded deployment zone and Advance Move from the tier list, and the quicker you get stuck into combat, the sooner you're not getting your face shot off.

His feat is amazing and will win you the game if you time it correctly.

But as a warcaster he is very fragile (14/16) and his spell list, beyond the two upkeeps, is very underwhelming.

In practice, as I've hinted earlier, I will deploy Kreoss in the centre of my army, AD the Errants into an arc in front of him, and just have him upkeep Inviolable Resolve and Sacrosanct, overcharging his power shield, occasionally feeding Fire of Salvation a Focus or three.

Justifier is a fantastic weapon (eKreoss has the highest P+S Armour Piercing attack in the game) but if you've reached the point where Kreoss is actually in combat things are going pear-shaped!

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 11:48 AM
Post #10

IPB Image

Crusaders of Sul

As a whole, the army is a compact force that marches forward and chews through the enemy army until it sees a weakness in the opponent's disposition and then goes for the jugular.

The army is very resilient as every casualty suffered actually increases the rest of the army's overall armour values, movement and offensive power.

The main things to remember are that the Knights do not have to be in a tight formation and so may be spread out, or even intermingled. This may help reduce the effect of concentrated firepower in a specific part of your line.

Make sure you know what models synergise with what. Exemplar Knights dying will buff the Seneschal, Fire of Salvation, and heal Kreoss and the Seneschal, but Errant sacrifices do not.

Don't throw the troopers away, even if you get bonuses for it. You ideally want to lose one model within range of the Seneschal(s) and FoS.

Protect the Daughters. They are not the only way to win the game but they are probably the best. I used to deploy the Daughters of the Flame as a screening force. That... didn't work out too well.

Get used to saying "Sorry, that doesn't work because X" tongue.gif There is a lot of denial - can't target, immune, magic weapons, sacrifice, etc.

--------------------
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 3 2012, 11:53 AM
Post #11

Thanks for the reads folks. That's the initial wave of posts out of the way.

Has anyone else tried eKreoss armies?

I know a lot of people are fond of the Menoth heavy infantry - Cinerators and Bastions - so if the list is expanded to 50 points for example, would they be preferable to more Knights?

I know with Knights that it will take, at minimum, six attacks to kill them all. And if they are not from blasts, the last one will need to crack ARM 20. With Bastions it will be minimum three but could be dozens as they can share wounds.

Vengers - they are a possibility (I'm just kinda mad because I had a unit of 4 pro-painted and now they're 3 or 5 not 3-5). Also, I am terrible at utilising the cavalry effectively. They just get bogged down or picked off, large bases and low armour make for a poor reserve force.

--------------------
+Quote Post
CaptBooyah
post Jan 3 2012, 12:08 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,977

QUOTE(GuppyShark @ Jan 3 2012, 11:23 AM) *
Vengers - they are a possibility (I'm just kinda mad because I had a unit of 4 pro-painted and now they're 3 or 5 not 3-5). Also, I am terrible at utilising the cavalry effectively. They just get bogged down or picked off, large bases and low armour make for a poor reserve force.

Often I see Cavalry as diversionary flanking units. You put them on the side to scare your opponent and make him either move to the side (hopefully splitting/stretching forces) to deal with them or to blatantly ignore them until they do become a problem. Keeping them alive is a problem so I definitely wouldn't use them to spearhead anything but rather to be reinforcements once the main force hits in. Combo them with feat for a world of hurt with impact attacks + reach attacks over front ranks.

Personally, I want to hear more of how awesome Kreoss is =]

--------------------
-What is Love? Baby, don't hurt me! Don't hurt me! No more-
+Quote Post
Sync
post Jan 3 2012, 01:54 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 9,874

Fantastic write-up!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jan 3 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #14

Friendly Cutthroat

I'm tempted to get a third unit of Precursors so we can have some kind of Knight v Knight match - I don't think we've ever matched them off have we?

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
Australian tabletop game studio launching Mecha Strike Arena, 10mm gladiatorial arena combat
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 4 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(CaptBooyah @ Jan 3 2012, 11:08 AM) *

Often I see Cavalry as diversionary flanking units. You put them on the side to scare your opponent and make him either move to the side (hopefully splitting/stretching forces) to deal with them or to blatantly ignore them until they do become a problem. Keeping them alive is a problem so I definitely wouldn't use them to spearhead anything but rather to be reinforcements once the main force hits in. Combo them with feat for a world of hurt with impact attacks + reach attacks over front ranks.

A lot of the army is already a second wave. The Vengers are certainly not as effective at that role as the Daughters of the Flame are. The first thing I add when expanding the army is a second Daughters Unit.
When I've tried using them as flank threats, keeping them moving to keep them threatening, I feel like they're not justifying their cost. They're expensive.

QUOTE(CaptBooyah @ Jan 3 2012, 11:08 AM) *

Personally, I want to hear more of how awesome Kreoss is =]

How about killing Sorscha with a single blow in the last tournament I played? tongue.gif

QUOTE(Sync @ Jan 3 2012, 12:54 PM) *

Fantastic write-up!

Thanks!

QUOTE(Tilaurin @ Jan 3 2012, 12:59 PM) *

I'm tempted to get a third unit of Precursors so we can have some kind of Knight v Knight match - I don't think we've ever matched them off have we?

Don't think we have, no. They'd probably struggle to make headway against the Exemplar tide. I'm not really familiar with the Precursor statline though.
Also their inferior deity will not help. tongue.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tilaurin
post Jan 4 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #16

Friendly Cutthroat

Precursors would be about as good as any single wound infantry against the exemplar, they ignore buffs from spells and Conny has transference to boost attack/damage rolls but I'm not sure how helpful itd be

--------------------
Dare Games Oz
For Love of the Game
+Quote Post
GuppyShark
post Jan 10 2012, 09:08 PM
Post #17

Battle Report: Friendly Game at Infinity

I haven't played for a while so I had a friendly against a good friend of mine.

We took small lists, 25 points each.

I took an absolute bare minimum eKreoss Tier 4.

IPB Image

Apologies for the unit of unpainted Exemplars. They had previously been hacked up and only a parts order has salvaged them. They should be painted before too long.

Turn 1

IPB Image

I showed how rusty I am by totally ballsing up my first turn.

I deployed favoring the left flank where I had hoped a building on my opponent's side of the table would interfere with his deployment. He ended up deploying his entire force on my right and I had to wheel my army to meet him, as his army has ranged attacks and mine does not.

This left Kreoss out of position. I was only able to throw buffs on his bodyguard Errants and the closest Knight unit. I generally prefer to buff the Knights.

I put Inviolable Resolve on the Errants (+2 ARM) and Sacrosanct on the Knights.

In this matchup, Sacrosanct was effectively useless, as you will see in a moment.

Turn 2

IPB Image

And now you see why Sacrosanct is pointless.

I am playing against eThagrosh, a Carnivean, a Typhon, a Shredder, a Forsaken and a Spell Martyr. Neither the Forsaken or the Spell Martyr was likely to be charging in with melee or shooting attacks...

I ran my army forward because I did not see a way to draw the Legion warbeasts in. I was picturing the entire army being annihilated by sprays from the Carnivean and Typhon.

I took casualties but not many. Spray attacks hit maybe a third of the time and while they killed what they hit, it was fairly spread out across the squads. The only real concern I had was that Typhon charged Fire of Salvation and Critical Pitched him right at eKreoss, but eKreoss took no damage thanks to having camped a ton of Focus.

Turn 3

IPB Image

In my turn Fire of Salvation shook effects, charged the Carnivean and beat it to within an inch of its life. eKreoss charged, popped his feat, and finished the Carnivean. The surviving Knights Exemplar butchered the Typhon and Shredder. The Errants formed into a tight pack around eKreoss to protect him from eThagrosh's retaliation.

(The dead Vlad on a base is eThagrosh - he is not yet painted.)

Thagrosh wanted to Scourge the Errants but of course cannot target them because of Purity. The Forsaken instead ran up to them. eThagrosh Scourged the Forsaken in the back but the spell did not kill the Forsaken, so eThagrosh was unable to move up and swing at eKreoss.

eThagrosh conceded.

What Did I Learn

1) It's about time I wrote down my first turn plan so I don't screw it up all the time.
2) Knight spam at 25 points is extremely difficult to deal with. I honestly thought the sprays would murder the Knights but they had a hard time even hitting DEF 12.
3) I need to remember to leave Fire of a Salvation a lane so he can move up when Vengeance triggers.
4) Getting knocked down means no Vengeance move sad.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
CaptBooyah
post Jan 10 2012, 10:22 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,977

Just so many knights... not enough attacks on my side to do anything about it. RAT4/5/6 on Carnivean/Typhon/Thagrosh sprays aren't high enough to guarantee dead exemplars so it's tough to push into that mess of weaponmasters that will get a second attack on feat. 3-4 of those guys are pretty much guaranteed to kill each of my heavy beasts on feat turn.

Some shredder spam may have fared better as a much up at low points. Rabid shredders with three attacks on my feat turn would've chewed up a lot of those guys. Although I still would've had the errants to worry about still.

--------------------
-What is Love? Baby, don't hurt me! Don't hurt me! No more-
+Quote Post
RobertShepherd
post Jan 10 2012, 10:30 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 5,547

So out of curiosity, what happens when you play against Siege?

--------------------
How do they rise up.
+Quote Post
Killbox
post Jan 10 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #20

ZEEEROOO - FIIIIIVE!

Member No.: 10,766

QUOTE(RobertShepherd @ Jan 10 2012, 10:00 PM) *

So out of curiosity, what happens when you play against Siege?

You cry.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 03:41 AM