Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Old school Blood Axe Orks painted for 2nd edition, New photos page 2 - 29 January 2015
Warburton
post Sep 6 2014, 04:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 15,763

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I will post more as I get them painted.

I also painted a tank which can be seen here.

This post has been edited by Warburton: Jan 29 2015, 09:33 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Count Von Bruno
post Sep 6 2014, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,614

Great stuff, I like to see them painted nice and bright like that.
The guy first on the left is probably my favourite, great work on the goggles.
Always nice to see the hazard stripes too (the Nob), was the weapon swap intentional or was the mini damaged?

This post has been edited by Count Von Bruno: Sep 6 2014, 06:12 PM
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 6 2014, 06:29 PM
Post #3

Thanks!

Yeah the chap with the goggles is one of my all time favourite ork models. The only reason there's no more photos of him is that the photos were out of focus! The bayonet was cut off by his previous owner but luckily I have got an intact version also.

The conversion to the Nob's weapon was done because I got three of the same figure in an eBay job lot! And I do love the classic second edition combo of power fist and chainsword!

--------------------
+Quote Post
thekelvingreen
post Sep 7 2014, 05:59 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 14,500

How are you achieving that light look? Washes?
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 7 2014, 06:59 AM
Post #5

Hi. They were painted using old school Eavy Metal techniques except I layer instead of blending. Basically a white undercoat then base coat in mid tones and shade with ink. Then keep adding white to the mid tone to layer highlights.

A black undercoat will never allow to achieve such lightness in my opinion. Colours always end up looking more muted and dull because you have to be so heavy to cover the black. White or even grey allows you to achieve translucency in your layers because you can keep them so thin.

EG the skin was done as follows
1. Goblin green 50% white 25% and yellow 25%
2. Old Green Ink all over the skin
3. Keep adding white and yellow to the green mix and do as many layers as you need, I did about 6 thin layers. As you get to the last couple just add white only and the last highlight was a very thin of just white.

If you want to know any other bits just ask!

This post has been edited by Warburton: Sep 7 2014, 07:11 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
thekelvingreen
post Sep 7 2014, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 14,500

Thanks for the explanation! Your technique gives good results; I love how bright and clear the colours are.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 9 2014, 03:01 PM
Post #7

Thanks for saying so!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 14 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #8

The varnish is just drying on these ones now; please let me know your thoughts!

These photos are a bit rubbish (too dark), sorry! I won’t get a chance to take any more for another week or so, so they’ll have to do for now.

IPB Image
IPB Image

I found the two orks with the swords, the leftmost one in particular, to be a bit of a chore to paint. The whole group suffered a bit as a result. They are rubbish and next time I would just leave them. I love the rest of the figures though. Painting the autocannon was particularly enjoyable; the flames on the barrel are so retro it hurts (I think I really got the 2nd edition 40K vibe with that one!). Let me know what you think.

IPB Image

The Blood Axe logo turned out a bit wonky (the perils of drunkpainting!) but I don’t like the model enough to bother re-doing it; it looks pretty good at any time it’s not blown up to this size in general though...

IPB Image

So much character in these old sculpts; totally missing from the current plastics in my opinion.

IPB Image

I hope you like them. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Warburton: Sep 14 2014, 04:34 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Chaplain_Fortis
post Sep 14 2014, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Authority Bared

Member No.: 4,901

How are you doing the gunmetal? It looks really nice.

--------------------
Existential memes for nihilistic teens
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 14 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #10

Thanks!

It's just Codex Grey thinned down then inked with watered down black ink. I then highlight with Codex Grey then perhaps 2 more highlights adding white each time. Then I do pure white just on the edges.

I prefer the look to metal for firearms. In real life they are never just bare metal.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Count Von Bruno
post Sep 14 2014, 08:19 PM
Post #11

Sick man, I love ém!

I don't mind the darker pic, the last one was a tad too bright I think and I have a feeling none of these photos do justice to how they look in the flesh/lead ( especially the skin)- 'the Blood Angels I have been doing look to be the classic orange in real life but it doesn't translate in photos.

The autocannon is brilliant, looks great on the old gunner body too.
And that guy on the left with the power sword, I hear ya- I wanted that mini so badly and was a bit disappointed when I finally got him and went to paint him.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 15 2014, 08:40 AM
Post #12

Thanks, Count!

The sword guy looks sort of retro and cool, I agree, and I was excited to get the mini. But, when you see it in the flesh it is just a sad example of where the old sculpts are just bad!

The 90s Kev Adams Orks are probably my favourites in terms of how they look, but the Rogue Trader heavy shows why the RT minis are standing the test of time -- no STUPID seperate plastic arms; the gun fit beautifully, in a way it never does when you are trying to line up the stupid stupid plasitc arm into place. That being said, plastic arms was a smart move by GW as it really means the models are worthless (or woth much less at least) in terms of selling or trading them second hand!

The first lot of photos are probably closer to how they look in real life (they are bright) but I know what you mean; the photos appear super saturated or something.

Taking photos is harder than painting the actual minis though, for me at least!

I am not very tech-savvy, so it is all I can do to actually get photos online (so thanks for commenting and making it worth the effort!), so ediing them in photoshop or whatever is pretty much a step too far at this stage.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Cannonball
post Sep 15 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #13

Whatever it takes

Member No.: 69

Oh man, I had all these guys. smile.gif

--------------------
#Brenton2016
+Quote Post
Count Von Bruno
post Sep 15 2014, 11:58 PM
Post #14

Warburton I wouldn't bother editing the pics at all, let me just clarify these guys look brilliant in both sets of pics, I'm just sure they don't do justice to seeing them in person.

I'm right there with you on both hating plastic arms but loving the Kev Goblinoids, most of my collection are the hybrid metal/plastics with a smattering of the nicer, early RT Orks thrown in.

I went out of my way not to have any armless Squats when collecting them, they suffer even worse!
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 16 2014, 09:12 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Cannonball @ Sep 15 2014, 08:48 AM) *

Oh man, I had all these guys. smile.gif

Even getting them on eBay now at outrageous prices is still SOOOO much cheaper than going to GW and buying a current Ork army!

QUOTE(Count Von Bruno @ Sep 15 2014, 11:28 PM) *

Warburton I wouldn't bother editing the pics at all, let me just clarify these guys look brilliant in both sets of pics, I'm just sure they don't do justice to seeing them in person.

I'm right there with you on both hating plastic arms but loving the Kev Goblinoids, most of my collection are the hybrid metal/plastics with a smattering of the nicer, early RT Orks thrown in.

I went out of my way not to have any armless Squats when collecting them, they suffer even worse!

To me the modern ork arms work for Skarboyz but for normal boyz you really do need the old skool punier plastic arms. The squats would be pretty much impossible to get arms for I think!

Thanks, again. The pics show off the models about as well as is possible apart from seeing them in the flesh. I know there are probably simple things that can be done in Photoshop to improve the photos a bit, but really the lighting is never perfect, even in real life!

--------------------
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Sep 24 2014, 08:43 AM
Post #16

Count, you may be interested in this chap who is sculpting plastic arms onto old Squat models:

http://insosworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-big-week.html

--------------------
+Quote Post
Count Von Bruno
post Oct 1 2014, 02:16 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Warburton @ Sep 24 2014, 08:43 AM) *

Count, you may be interested in this chap who is sculpting plastic arms onto old Squat models:

http://insosworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/the-big-week.html

Ah yes, Inso from Space Dwarfs Online!
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Oct 10 2014, 09:49 PM
Post #18

Here are some further orks straight from being varnished. Two Nobz and a trooper with a lascannon.

I very quickly made some buildings out of junk over the last week or so as a backdrop and made a baseboard to photograph on. I placed the lot in front of a light box and photographed it all under a few lamps. Let me know what you think. I can go into further details if anyone is interested, but I am a rank amateur at photography.

I was again very much going for the 2nd edition 40k vibe on, particularly, the lascannon. It is a bit over the top, but I like it. I hope you do to.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I have a few more that will be done in about a week or two, after which I will take a group shot smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Count Von Bruno
post Oct 11 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #19

I love em- the black flames on the lascannon are such a nice touch too.

The tan colour scheme is a nice and out of the box ( as in not the usual) colour scheme.

I like the looks of your scenery, I have a thing for the Rogue Trader adobe hut/mos eisley style buildings- Imperial stuff is great of course but most every table is littered with the stuff.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Oct 12 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #20

Thanks, Count.

The buildings were made just quickly out of rubbish. Sci Fi stuff seems possible on to pull off in that style.

Eventually I would like to recreate some of the terrain from the battle reports from the 90s, but it will be a while before I get around to that.

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2019 - 01:04 AM