Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Olaf Paints Stuff, Mainly Blood Bowl Stuff
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 25 2015, 08:06 AM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 5,481

For the last few years Iíve painted almost nothing. Just recently I finally finished re-painting an old-school Varag mini for another Blood Bowl coach, along with a Treeman and an Orc turn/score counter. That got me back into the swing of things painting-wise and Iíve decided I need to continue whilst my motivation levels are strong.

Southern Shrike Bowl 2015 (8/9 August) is just under 20 weeks away and this year I want to do something Iíve never done before - take my own fully painted team.

Iíve taken painted teams to SSB before. However, the minis either werenít completely painted (i.e. still needed more shading/highlighting) or were painted by someone else. So this year I want to take a fully painted team that I have painted myself.

While I think my standard of painting is ok, Iíd describe my painting speed as glacial. Iím a bit of a perfectionist as well as a procrastinator. Those two traits are not a good combination as I will often get to a point with a mini where Iím not happy with how something looks, or I do something like accidentally get a bit of blue paint on an area of skin that Iíd finished painting. I get frustrated, stop painting the mini and lose interest in finishing it.

So this thread is to try and keep me motivated to get more stuff finished. Iím going to list what I need to paint and if Iím not updating the thread I want people to hassle me for updates (having accountability is a good way to overcome procrastination).

So hereís my list of stuff I want to get painted in time for SSB 2015:

11 Dark Elves Ė Classic 3rd edition GW Dark Elves. Single piece sculpts, so they will be easy to assemble, but are one of the better looking 3rd edition GW teams.
1 Ogre Ė The 2014 SSB MVP Ogre mini. I canít fit him in my SSB 2015 team, but Iíd like to enter one into the Best Painted Ogre competition anyway. I wonít get casts of the mini for another couple of months, so this will be one of the last items to get painted.
2 SSB awards Ė The ďBalls of SteelĒ and ďBrick WallĒ awards. These should be nice and quick to paint. I can get these done in a couple of hours.
5 Fantasy Bowl Dices turn/score markers Ė These are some cool looking turn/score markers that Iíll be giving away as mini-game prizes at SSB.
5 Shrike minis Ė Something Iíve been meaning to do for the last couple of years is paint up Shrike minis to give as mini-trophies to 1st place, Best Sports, Best Painted, Most TDís and Most Cas.
4 racial BB balls Ė The racial balls that SSB did last year (and again this year) look nice, but they look even better painted. So I want to paint some up to give away as mini-game prizes.

So all up thatís 17 minis, 5 markers, 2 awards and 4 custom BB balls. That works out to painting about one mini a week. Thatís a challenge for someone of my painting speed, but I think it is do-able.

Here's a shot of everything I have to paint, except for the Ogre, which is still to be cast up.

IPB Image

As you can see, I've got a bit of a head start on the Fantasy Bowl Dice. They were ones I started to paint for SSB last year, but ran out of time. So they shouldn't take me too long to get done this time around.

The grey Hirst Arts bricks at the back will become the Brick Wall award (Least TD's against), while the foam balls will become the Balls of Steel award (Least Cas against).

I'm liking the look of my Dark Elf team. I think the GW Assassin mini I have goes well with the style of the rest of the team. As a bonus, due to all my positionals, I only have 2 double-up sculpts (2 Blitzer doubles). The rest of the team are all different sculpts. At this stage I'm thinking that I'll paint the Dark Elves up in Dallas Cowboy colours. The blue and grey should be a good Dark Elf colour scheme.

The Shrike minis (at the back of the photo) will be painted similarly, except their armour will be different colours. Most Cas (far left) will have red armour, Most TD's (second on the left) will have green armour, Best Painted (middle) will have white armour and the SSB Champion (second on the right) will probably have blue armour with gold trim. The only one I'm not sure about is Best Sports (far right). I was thinking brown armour would be appropriate (being a brown-noser), but I'm not sure if colour will work.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Mar 25 2015, 09:14 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 15,763

Good luck smile.gif I look forward to seeing this progress.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 25 2015, 10:12 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(Warburton @ Mar 25 2015, 09:44 AM) *

Good luck smile.gif I look forward to seeing this progress.

Cheers.

Do you play Blood Bowl Warburton? I'm always looking to get new players involved in the game.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Mar 26 2015, 09:58 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 25 2015, 09:42 AM) *

Cheers.

Do you play Blood Bowl Warburton? I'm always looking to get new players involved in the game.

I have never actually played Blood Bowl!

Whereabouts do you play?

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 26 2015, 02:03 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Warburton @ Mar 26 2015, 10:28 AM) *

I have never actually played Blood Bowl!

Whereabouts do you play?

Southern Shrike Bowl, the tournament I run, is held in Windsor Gardens (about 10-15 mins north-east of the CBD) in August (8/9 August this year).

There are 4 regular leagues that I know of in Adelaide (there are others, but they tend to be friends who have got together and formed their own league).

AFOUL, who are located near Windsor Gardens. I think they play on Wednesday nights out of someone's gaming shed, but are open new players joining in. They also play other games besides Blood Bowl. Their league set-up is pretty open, so players don't have to attend and play every week.

AFOUL Victor Harbor, who are located (funnily enough) in Victor Harbor. One of the regular AFOUL players moved down their and started a second AFOUL league there.

SABBL, who are down south (Sheidow Park maybe?). They are re-starting their league shortly. It's re-starting as a Blood Bowl 7's league (only 7 players on a team instead of 11) so that they can gently introduce several new players into the game. So now is an ideal time for new players to join that league.

CCKUP, who are located in the CBD, but often play league games at the houses of the various players.

If you're interested in giving Blood Bowl a go I could put you in contact with the Commissioner of the league closest to you.
+Quote Post
weissm
post Mar 26 2015, 04:18 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,267

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 26 2015, 02:33 PM) *

CCKUP, who are located in the CBD, but often play league games at the houses of the various players.

Infinity games is generally the place where most matches get played. Our next season should be starting late April, so good time to paint up a team and join in.

This post has been edited by weissm: Mar 27 2015, 01:45 PM
+Quote Post
DarkHorse
post Mar 26 2015, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 162

QUOTE(weissm @ Mar 26 2015, 03:18 PM) *

Infinity games is generally the place where most matches get played. Our next season should be starting late October, so good time to paint up a team and join in.

October? I think you mean April. tongue.gif

--------------------
Knights of Purity and Valour - Kill 'em all, let the Emperor sort it out!
+Quote Post
Din
post Mar 26 2015, 07:27 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 4,755

Keen to see how this goes. Dark Elves are one of my favourite teams for Blood Bowl and I used to have those models (which I agree with you on their quality compared to others produced at the same time).

Currently it looks like I'll be able to attend Southern Shrike this year (yaay!). So I actually started kit-bashing my new team a few days ago, so far so good. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 27 2015, 06:47 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Din @ Mar 26 2015, 07:57 PM) *

Keen to see how this goes. Dark Elves are one of my favourite teams for Blood Bowl and I used to have those models (which I agree with you on their quality compared to others produced at the same time).

Currently it looks like I'll be able to attend Southern Shrike this year (yaay!). So I actually started kit-bashing my new team a few days ago, so far so good. smile.gif

Sweet! Brett needs some more competition in the painting competition.

Is your brother coming too?
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Mar 27 2015, 08:21 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 26 2015, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE(weissm @ Mar 26 2015, 03:48 PM) *

Infinity games is generally the place where most matches get played. Our next season should be starting late October, so good time to paint up a team and join in.

CBD would suit me more than any of the other locations - April is out, but October could be a possibility...

Interesting to see there seem to be a fair few people interested in this smile.gif

This post has been edited by Warburton: Mar 27 2015, 08:23 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 27 2015, 08:28 AM
Post #11

QUOTE(Warburton @ Mar 27 2015, 08:51 AM) *

CBD would suit me more than any of the other locations - April is out, but October could be a possibility...

Interesting to see there seem to be a fair few people interested in this smile.gif

Southern Shrike Bowl has averaged about 30 people for the last 3 years (after 41 in 2011). Between the 3 leagues that I know of in Adelaide (plus the smaller "friend" leagues about the place), plus another out Kadina way, there's a decent amount of interest in Blood Bowl, especially for a game that hasn't been supported by GW in the last 15 years.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Mar 27 2015, 03:40 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 27 2015, 07:58 AM) *

Southern Shrike Bowl has averaged about 30 people for the last 3 years (after 41 in 2011). Between the 3 leagues that I know of in Adelaide (plus the smaller "friend" leagues about the place), plus another out Kadina way, there's a decent amount of interest in Blood Bowl, especially for a game that hasn't been supported by GW in the last 15 years.

Okay, I am keen to actually play some stuff (got back into the hobby about 2 years ago but have just been painting so far, no actual games of anything yet) so I might get a team together and get back in touch about playing a game or two. I live in Glen Osmond so it is pretty easy for me get anywhere in Adelaide but I have 2 young kids so it's getting the time that is more of an issue.

How many players would I need for a human team and how many for an elf team?

Cheers.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Olaf the Stout
post Mar 27 2015, 07:49 PM
Post #13

Welcome to my world. I have 3 kids, so I know how you feel.

Blood Bowl teams range in size from a minimum of 11 players to a maximum of 16 players. You generally want all the positionals for a team and then linemen to take the team up to 16 players (or 17 players if the team has a Big Guy) to cover all the options.

For a Human team you need 4 Blitzers, 4 Catchers, 2 Throwers, 6 Linemen and maybe an Ogre.

There are 4 different Elf teams. Wood, Dark, High and Pro. Which one would interest you most?

When I'm not posting on my phone I'll send you a link to where you can get a PDF copy of the rules.
+Quote Post
Warburton
post Mar 27 2015, 10:19 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Olaf the Stout @ Mar 27 2015, 07:19 PM) *

Welcome to my world. I have 3 kids, so I know how you feel.

Blood Bowl teams range in size from a minimum of 11 players to a maximum of 16 players. You generally want all the positionals for a team and then linemen to take the team up to 16 players (or 17 players if the team has a Big Guy) to cover all the options.

For a Human team you need 4 Blitzers, 4 Catchers, 2 Throwers, 6 Linemen and maybe an Ogre.

There are 4 different Elf teams. Wood, Dark, High and Pro. Which one would interest you most?

When I'm not posting on my phone I'll send you a link to where you can get a PDF copy of the rules.

Thanks, mate. I'll PM you with my email.

Dark Elves would be my choice, I think. (Never even heard of of Pro Elves to be honest!!) I also like Skaven but I have a lot of Skaven models already for Mordheim so I can't really stomach the though of adding yet more rats to the unpainted pile of shame.... smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 01:19 AM