Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] 23rd Armoured Company, 22/1 - Arc 2010 ready!
voyager
post Nov 21 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #1

Floreat Gerboa

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 562

Due to my webspace being reworked at present, pictures/links may be broken for a short while.

Well, its been 2 years, but I am BACK! Ready and raring to go with new forces, new ideas and (if its actually possible) less of an idea than before. No matter. Time to rock and roll!

I had many ideas for a new army, and many considerations. A few of them were boring, some were trivial, but it came down to 2 overriding ideas and 2 potential forces.

The army HAD to be compact - low model count and sturdy enough to transport wherever I wanted to play on a motorcycle (since thats how I prefer to get around these days). Second, it had to sing that sweet seductive song to me - it had to MEAN something. The force options that it came down to were Dark Angels Deathwing (100% termie/dread/LR army) and Imperial Guard Armoured Company. Since I love working on terminators, Deathwing was selected.

Wait, I hear you say - isn't this an Armoured Company army diary? Well yes, it is. Read on.

So I began collecting the parts for my Deathwing. Got some models, and some sweet bases from Back2Base-ix. Then I lost heart in it, and returned to other ventures. Thinking of Arcanacon and out came the models again, but the colour scheme wasn't working, and I was getting frustrated. Personal issues popped up, and once I came out of those, I had a new focus. The Armoured Company were back as the #1 army, and they won't be changing any time soon.

So, without further ado, in the memory of a true WWII tanker, I present the 23rd Company of the 7th Armoured Division, under the command of Captain Frank Alefounder.

Next up - the army list

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 24 2013, 07:34 PM

--------------------
Airbrushing 101 - A Complete Tutorial - everything you wanted to know but were afraid to search for
Assortment of Lunacy - general hobby log
7th Armoured Division, 23rd Company - Imperial Guard Armoured Battlegroup
Cadian v Catachan Diorama - Paintball 40K style
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 21 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #2

Floreat Gerboa

23rd Armoured Company, 7th Division Army List

Doctrines: Leman Russ Exterminators, Leman Russ Vanquishers

HQ
Leman Russ Exterminator Command Tank
Turret-Mounted Twin-Linked Autocannon
Hull Mounted Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Pintle-Mounted Heavy Stubber, Extra Armour, Smoke Launcher
254pts

ELITES
Leman Russ Vanquisher Tank Ace
Turret-Mounted Vanquisher Cannon & Coaxial Storm Bolter
Hull Mounted Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Extra Armour, Searchlight
271pts

TROOPS
Leman Russ
Turret-Mounted Battle Cannon
Hull Mounted Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons
Extra Armour
170pts

Leman Russ
Extra Armour
160pts

Leman Russ
Extra Armour
160pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
Leman Russ Demolisher Support Tank
Turret-Mounted Demolisher Cannon
Hull Mounted Lascannon, Plasma Cannon Sponsons
Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers, Searchlight
184pts

TOTAL: 1200pts
Model Count: 6
Break Point: 1

NOTE - list updated to reflect a few minor changes.

OK, so some people might think this is pretty hard for a 1200pt list. But honestly, it isn't. On the right mission and board, OK, its very nasty. Generally however, its pretty flimsy. The Exterminator is very situational, the Demolisher is short range, and the Vanquisher can be outmanouvred. OK, so 3 Leman Russes in a column is a handful, but I don't believe this is a cheese factory, especially given how many times I've been smashed by various forces in the past. Still, each to their own.

next up - painting & colour schemes

This post has been edited by voyager: Dec 4 2007, 09:28 PM

--------------------
Airbrushing 101 - A Complete Tutorial - everything you wanted to know but were afraid to search for
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 21 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #3

Floreat Gerboa

OK, so the list is pretty much finalised, for better of for worse. If it doesn't perform on the battlefield, well, I'll revise it after Arcanacon, since I don't have time to finish constructing and painting anything else beforehand. About the only thing I could do is swap out the heavy flamers on one of the tanks for heavy bolters. The rest is pretty fixed. Working on a mounting system for the hull weapons so I could concievably attach a heavy bolter or lascannon as I see fit. More details to come.

Colour scheme is easy in theory and bloody difficult to execute for one of my limited brush skills. Since the REAL Frank Alefounder was a Desert Rat (hence the unit designation) it will be done in a variant on the North Africa desert campaign colours. Specifically, a desert camoflague pattern from around 1944/45, as show on the picture below (note - its not there yet - I'll edit shortly). This is a dusty beige/brown base, with highlights of chalky greys. Accent colours include some darker edging on the greys, plus some rusts, dirt, dust and other effects. I'm no 'Eavy Metal artist, so it has to be doable by someone of my limited talents. if the tanks look roughly like the picture below in the end, I'll be extremely happy.

<<Picture To Be Placed Here>>

I've ordered some ForgeWorld parts - specifically some track guards for the Command Tank, plus an Exterminator and a Vanquisher turret. I selected the Ryza pattern ones as I feel they have the better feel for the quasi-WWII themed tank company. I'm also looking at the Archer line of decals and transfers for some Jerboa and Liver Bird emblems to mark the tanks with. Not that its overly hard to produce those as a stencil with my printer and an x-acto knife.

The biggest issue at the moment is the concept of basing the tanks. I'd like to make a small (probably 2'x2') battle board to display them, plus bases lower the wear and tear on the models themselves. How to attach them to the bases could be an issue. Magnets again I reckon, or a heavy centre stud that the tank can settle into on the base. I'll make some mock-ups and post them for consideration.

--------------------
+Quote Post
drozzy
post Nov 21 2007, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Group: Banned
Member No.: 252

For the issue of holding the tanks onto bases:

Try 4 pins on each corner of the tanks going from the base into the track, only need a small inconspicuous hole and they should stay snug and firm.
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 22 2007, 10:17 AM
Post #5

Floreat Gerboa

QUOTE(drozzy @ Nov 21 2007, 07:32 PM) *
Try 4 pins on each corner of the tanks going from the base into the track, only need a small inconspicuous hole and they should stay snug and firm.

Nice! Thanks for that tip, I'll absolutely give it a try. Random thought - you reckon this would work with magnets too?

I wonder how large a base for a tank should be. I guess if its thin then you don't need to bother with "base contact" and just play the game as if the base wasn't actually there. Draw LoS to the tank body itself, any assaulting infantry have to hit the physical model, etc. How much stuff could you pack onto the base before it gets in the way. Again, maybe some magnets...

This continues to give rise to loads of thought.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 25 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #6

Floreat Gerboa

OK, an update and a whinge.

Collected the kits I needed on Saturday morning and dragged them home. Holy crap but there are a lot of small parts for an essentially fairly chunky vehicle. So, the weekend has been spent building tanks, for the most part. I've built 1 x Leman Russ, 1 x Demolisher & 1 Mission Objective in the form of a small radar-guided SAM site (40mm square base) using a few parts left over from an old edition Rhino kit. Came up quite nicely really. Pics to follow this evening.

Now the whinge. GW - please, please PLEASE take some care in your shipping methods. Aside from the demolisher, EVERY SINGLE HULL in the kits (2 x Leman Russ Squadron boxes) is warped (looks like heat warping). They look like bananas or canoes, not tanks. REALLY, REALLY unimpressed with that. I've been able to bend one back so far, but I may have to use some hot water to soften them up later on.

So the construction is coming along nicely. Still sweating over how the hell I'm going to get the painting done. Loads of advice from people here, which is so deeply appreciated, but I'm still nervous as hell about it.

--------------------
+Quote Post
lemmingspawn
post Nov 25 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 570

Wow, didn't expect them to be warped. I recently built the baneblade which is huge, and me being out here at heat central expected warpage but it is pristine...

--------------------
THE LIST
MEH - Stuff the list - it was getting too long anyways... :)
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 25 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Floreat Gerboa

Can't say I expected it either sad.gif Still very disappointed. Mind you, I seem to luck out this way - I got a Crusader kit that I had to return once as it was unusable.

I took a closer look at the kits. The Demolisher kit (unaffected) is a darker shade of gray (bluer as well) than the 6 Russes, which are the usually beige-grey colour, so it appears to be a combination of heat during shipping and a potentially higher grade plastic in the Demolisher kit.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 25 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #9

Floreat Gerboa

First photographs of this project - the two secondary objective markers, otherwise known as scenery tongue.gif Note that these are yet to be properly based. Both are on 40mm square bases. Sorry for the very ordinary pictures - I had an electrical short in the kitchen the other night so my usual photographic light sources are currently employed elsewhere in the house at the moment.

Secondary Objective One - Radar-Guided SAM Site
IPB Image

Secondary Objective Two - Rocket Artillery Battery
IPB Image

For those who like to know what parts were used: the platforms are old edition Rhino front plates. I trimmed off the viewport and latches, although the cutout is still there. The SAM is the hunter-killer missile from vehicles of the same era. The radar dish is from the current edition Land Raider. The two rockets and their railings are straight off the Leman Russ accessories sprue.

OK, back to playing with paint - I'm testing the paint scheme on a 1/35th T72 model I had in the cupboard.

This post has been edited by voyager: Nov 25 2007, 08:10 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 25 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #10

Floreat Gerboa

First attempt at the colour scheme (my plea for painting assistance thread is elsewhere, I'll keep this to commentary) has been done, actually first three attempts. Two of them sucked badly. This one isn't too bad.

Sample Camoflauge Scheme Attempt #1
IPB Image
(this is a 1/35th T72 model, in case you're wondering why it doesn't look like a Leman Russ)

I'm seeing a few things from this, but still a long way to go. At least it has the right muted look to it at this point. Wouldn't mind a little more beige to it for a lighter sandy look, but at least its a step in the right direction.

Current Arc'08 Status:

Time Remaining: 62 days
Fluff: pending (haven't even named the units yet - I feel dirty)
Uber-Fluff: pending
HQ Tank: unbuilt
Tank Ace: unbuilt
Squadron Tank #1: built
Squadron Tank #2: unbuilt
Squadron Tank #3: unbuilt
Heavy Support: built (mostly)
Primary Mission Objective: untouched, no idea what to make
Secondary Mission Objective 1: built
Secondary Mission Objective 2: built (mostly)

Prediction: I'm so screwed... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by voyager: Nov 25 2007, 11:59 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
JokerOz
post Nov 26 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 170

Nice, good luck with the time frame.

This post has been edited by JokerOz: Nov 26 2007, 06:56 AM

--------------------
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer" - Zaphod Beeblebrox
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 26 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #12

Floreat Gerboa

Usual update. Built up another tank today, so now I have 2 Leman Russes and a Demolisher pretty much fully built. Still need to acquire heavy bolters for the hull turrets, but I bought a couple today from the Buy/Swap/Sell board, so those ought to solve that problem.

Pointless Photo of 3 Mostly Constructed Tanks
IPB Image

The sponsons, track guards and hull weaponry are in a box at the moment. Need to see what my FW track guards look like before I can determine if the box set ones can go on ALL the vehicles (as "extra armour") and the actual track guarded model be easy to identify.

Time Remaining: 61 days.
Current Status: going insane and losing fingerprints from track assembly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
karmaslide
post Nov 27 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #13

QNKBBL Commish

Member No.: 2,746

Hey - just a quick tip - in the past two months i have built 3 russ', 2 chimeras and a hell hound, and the best bit of advice i can give you when building the track sections is to start with the longest piece on the bottom with the two teeth just sticking out over the front edge of the assembly, and work one piece at a time around both sides until you can fit the other long piece on top. Doing it more than one track length at a time just makes a gluey mess of the tracks (and your fingertips), and this way you can be sure you have the right lengths where they need to go.

--------------------
Secretary, Queensland Northern Knights Inc.
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 27 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #14

Floreat Gerboa

Thanks for the tip for treads - very much appreciated! Should have seen the first vehicle I built (years ago now) - using superglue and I think I got more of my fingers stuck to the model than treads!

I've been starting at the top by positioning the 4-link and 2 6-link pieces, since they line up neatlyat the joins. Then I've worked down the back, to the long base piece. Then I return to the front top and go along that - that way if there are any pieces not quite right, they are in the places that are hardest to see. So far its worked pretty well. I have one of those Contacta needle-point plastic glue dispensers, so I don't have the gluey mess problem.

My big issue with the treads/wheels is that I have giant mitts for hands, so those small parts are pretty awkward for me. Thankfully years of (badly) playing guitars has hardened my fingertips, so I've been able to avoid any injuries from my x-acto knife so far.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 28 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #15

Floreat Gerboa

so I've been able to avoid any injuries from my x-acto knife so far.

Well, that will teach me to speak too soon. Still, it was only a minor nick as my thumbnail caught the brunt of it. Got the tracks and hull of another tank done, still got to do its turret, sponsons and rear end though.

Anyone got suggestions about track guards - paint the tread assembly in its entirity then glue them down? Or have them attached beforehand?

Also need some ideas on how to mount the sponsons so that they are removable.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Nov 30 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #16

Floreat Gerboa

Think I solved the sponson problem - I've mounted a small piece of sprue inside the sponson to attach the magnet onto, then lined up a second on direct onto the hull. The plastic is too thin to inset the magnet onto the hull plate.

So far I've done up one entire tank with magnetised sponsons & hull weapon. Quite like the ability with the hull weapon to be able to replace the actual casing and just remove the gun - makes it easier to build swappable weapons without butchery of the lascannon itself.

I'll post up some detail pics tonight.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Dec 2 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #17

Floreat Gerboa

My fingers hurt. I've assembled 2 more tanks in the past 24hrs and I'm getting tread-shaped eyes from all the tiny parts.

So now I have 6 mostly constructed tank chassis, of which one (1) is magnetised. Still got the other 5 to do, so I guess thats next on the list.

Still playing with paint, and so far, NOTHING is working out right. I don't want 6 ugly tanks on the battlefield, but right now sprayed primer is about the only thing I can do. I COULD go back to the 1940-era desert paint (monotone) but I don't think the army would have the same impact.

I'm seriously considering finding someone to teach me how to do the paint correctly.

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Dec 4 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #18

Floreat Gerboa

OK, another update, this time with pictures.

A gratuitous photo of the 6 currently assembled tanks.
IPB Image
The one with the sponsons attached is the magnetised one, see below for more detail on that one. The two with missing turrets are the hulls for the Vanquisher and Exterminator, whos turrets are about a week away (I hope). I didn't build anything from their parts, in case the ForgeWorld turrets need some of the parts. All the sponsons are built awaiting magnets, the hull weapons need some modifying since I need several heavy bolters. I'm going to get some dowelling rod and build up the entire mount piece for ease of transfer.

So lets talk magnets.

Magnetised Weapons, Exploded View
IPB Image
Here's the tank with its magnets visible. I've mounted pieces of sprue inside the sponsons and hull plating so I didn't have to hack apart the hull of the tank itself. Initially I ground down the hinges on the hull, but as it turns out that wasn't nessecary. Not sure if/how I'll plug the holes in the hull plating as yet. Might see if I can come up with something suitably cool.

Magnetised Tank, Magnets Attached
IPB Image
Not too many visible gaps in the magnetised parts (I was reasonably careful to file them down before I mounted the magnets. I'll have to number the parts so that I don't bugger up the polarity or the fit between each tank.

And this brings me to the colour scheme. Here's another attempt at a colour scheme - this one seems to work reasonably well, with the exception of the brush marks, but thats just an issue with a crappily sprayed undercoat and excessive haste on my part. Once again my old T72 model was pressed into service.

Desert Camoflauge 4 Tone Scheme
IPB Image

Desert Camoflauge 4 Tone Scheme, Alternate View
IPB Image

This was done with the following technique, adapted from the GW website.

1. Basecoat with thinned-down 3:1 Desert Yellow:Bleached Bone. I did 3 coats of poorly thinned paint. I reckon the final product will need 4.
2. Ink applied to raises and crevasses. Ink was 3:1:4 Chestnut:Black:Water. It needs some adjustment for the next (and last) test run - I'll make up 2 batches - one with a surface tension breaker (ie: dish soap) and the other with a spot of PVA glue - that way I can control the inks properties a little better.
3. Touch up over inkage with the basecoat.
4. Light Drybrush 2:1 Desert Yellow:Bleached Bone
5. Light Drybrush 3:1 Bleached Bone:Skull White
6. Camo paint on 3:1 Graveyard Earth:Bleached Bone
7. Drybrush camo areas 1:1 Graveyard Earth:Bleached Bone
8. Paint the dark splotches on with thinned 2:1 Scorched Brown:Chaos Black (I need to make these larger in the next run, and keep them on the borders of the camo print but not overlapping them).
9. Drybrush the splotches (if needed) 1:1 Scorched Brown:Graveyard Earth
10. Paint the jags between the splotches and the camo areas with thinned down Bleached Bone (needed 2 coats)
11. Drybrush splotches (if needed) with Skull White

After that process comes the detailing, such as the treads, spring coils, gunmetal, etc. I'm still working on the way I want the treads to look - my original idea, well, sucked. I'll have some tests up soon.

SO, the progress report:

Days to go: 54
Tank Hulls: Complete
Hull Hyperdetailing: Pending (looking at ways to do some subtle wear'n'tear plus other things)
Magnetisation: 1/6 complete (help!... it took ages)
Turrets: awaiting delivery
Painting: yeah, right...

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Dec 11 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #19

Floreat Gerboa

With some conversion parts (ie: heavy bolters) arriving in the mail, I can get back to work. I took a break for a few days to let the skin on my fingers grow back.

So the current short-term goals are as follows:

1. Convert several hull lascannons to heavy bolters
2. Complete the magnetisation process on all 6 tanks (ouch)
3. Properly test-paint something in the colour scheme including details.

I have an old Vindicator around (the old edition GW one) which I'll probably never actually put on the tabletop (I have a newer Forgeworld kit one as well), so its as good a sacrificial lamb as anything else.

I'll keep you posted.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Dec 11 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #20

Mozzie: Maori in Oz

Member No.: 406

Days to go: 47

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

Whanau - Trollbloods (Hordes) Convic Painting Challenge Blog/Modelling Diary | Swordwing - DA Doublewing (40k) | Markz & Sparkz - Orks (40k) | Dread Company - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | Junkyard Dogs - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | K-Block - Orcs (BB) Blog/Modelling Diary
+Quote Post

13 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 03:08 PM