5 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] A Barghesi Army, Updated 27 July 08
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 12 2008, 04:52 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 594

It's time to start a new alien race - this time it's the hyper viloent Barghesi!!

Using Ghouls as the model base and the ork codex I'm going to create a new apocalypse army!!
and here's the fluff...

The Barghesi

My Pack will destroy all the Humans – then you will give us something new to destroy.
Pack Leader Ghervis

Physical characteristics

Described in the official Xenos records as ‘Hyper Violent’, this species would be hard to classify as sentient were it not for their annoying ability to pre-plan and utilise technology for their violent needs. The Barghesi are a degenerate species, wracked by mutations. Autopsies conducted many millennia ago show the species to have been genetically manipulated and multiple redundancies created amongst their organs. These redundancies, which include a decentralised nervous system and hyper-efficient healing processes, allow the Barghesi to swiftly recover from even the most hideous of wounds. The Barghesi often mutilate their own bodies in order to attempt to feel concept only vaguely know to them… pain. Additionally oversized organs have been found, capable of producing literally litres of adrenalin which increase their combat abilities. Who modified the Barghesi’s biology remains unknown.

Social Structure

The Barghesi are divided into packs which can ranged from a mere handful of troops to a hoard of hundreds of thousands. A Barghesi pack will go where the fighting is – under any commander. The Barghesi records indicate that they long ago eradicated their second sex, so Barghesi are no longer born, but rather produced, fully formed and functional, from the Pack’s Clone factories. In a species where violence is ever present, battles to the death are surprisingly few and far between. The Barghesi save the privilege of death for their enemies. Barghesi will often take prisoners in combat – only to pit them against their champions, one by one, until they are all dead. Other civilians are taken as slaves.

A very few Barghesi emerge from the cloning tubes with technical or mechanical knowledge. These Pack Leaders, who still retain a semblance of sanity, are given control over a war pack of Barghesi warriors. The role of Pack leader is not highly coveted – rather a position of responsibility to be avoided – after all how can a warrior focus on the glory of battle if it has to worry about everyone else? If a pack leader is challenged by a junior pack leader, the junior will likely be promoted to a strike position with the pack. If the pack is large enough, or has access to cloning facilities, the challenger may be given a cadre of newly produced warriors and given the old leader’s blessing to become a new pack. If the old pack leader is nearing death, then they will often hand over the role (often to an unwilling recipient), to indulge in one last glorious charge at a foe – any foe.

Pack leaders are protected by their packs – as it seems few others want their worries. Pack leaders are not only responsible for leading the pack, but also the use and maintenance of the Pack’s technology. Thus the pack leaders are usually augmented with advanced bionics and trained in the art of cloning allowing their pack to grow.

The Barghesi make bad workers, they have learnt however that other species are capable of working for them – given the proper incentives, such as not killing them. This concept – not killing the workers – is hard to teach the newly produced clones as they experience their first blissful moment of berserk. Every year the Barghesi ship millions of slaves back to their manufacturing centres – where they are worked to death and their biological remains used as material to create more Barghesi clones.

Magos Biologus Hein Njarlson, sanctioned by the Ordo Xenos, has interviewed many thousands of liberated Human slaves of the Barghesi before processing and remains the greatest source of information on the foul species. He speculates that the Barghesi have a religious code, many fearing it to be a reverence of Chaos – however none of the race’s iconography seems to provide any clear evidence. Part of this code involves a ‘priest cast’ often referred to only as the ‘inspired’. Magos Biologus Hein Njarlson has shown evidence that the ‘inspired’ are the operators of the cloning technology, he also speculates that the ‘inspired’ are merely the most insane of an insane species. Sometimes ‘inspired’ will cause a variation in the Barghesi cloning technique, leading to a batch of devolved warriors. Many of these Devolved are mindless husks and do not survive, but those that do are hulking primitive beasts.

If they were not the most despicable of Xenos, one might feel sorry for them – they destroy everything they touch in a pathetic attempt to feel the merest of sensations which might justify their pointless existence.
Magos Biologus Hein Njarlson (Sanctioned)

Technology & Combat Capabilities

Barghesi technology is simple, brutal and directly tied to their combat capabilities. Most advanced technology used by the Barghesi is invariably crafted by human slaves – usually in captured human factories. The Warriors utilise unstable and static weapons, which cause disease and illness amongst the slave workers who make them. These lectrically based weapons case lightning fields or wild arcs of electricity which, though highly untable, is highly effective on the battlefield. The knowledge of how to make their own technology is handed down by the pack leaders. It is thought that the Barghesi can no longer create much of their own technology, using a process similar to Humanities STC templates in order to direct their slave populations to manufacture the required weapons – no Barghesi STC has even been recovered however.

The Barghesi’s war machines are of an ancient – yet still effective – design. Piloting Barghesi craft often involves painful and invasive surgery for the pilots, a job that is eagerly sought after. The ‘War Spites’ and ‘War Furies’ are lethal designs of rocket engines which burn out regularly; causing hideous injuries to the pilots. These rockets create static fields around them which can be earthed amongst their enemies with terrifying results. The Barghesi also make extensive use of walkers from the ‘War Bringer’, a dreadnaught scale vehicle which has it’s entire canopy electrified, to the massive ‘War Monger’ walker tank festooned with lightning weapons and revered by the Barghesi for the damage and mayhem it leaves in its wake.

Home World

the Hyper Violent Barghesi inhabit the Grendl Stars (originally called the wings on Sanguinius) located in the Grendle stars in the Ultima Segmentum. Despite the Barghesi homeworld being virus bombed in M37 there continue to be thousands of reports of Barghesi incursions into the Imperium every year of varying sizes. It is suspected that the race has received sizable assistance by rebel forces & mercenary organisations to expand their bases through the galaxy. Barghesi have also been reported using Space Hulks to transport their forces – however it is suspected that the origional intention was the battle against the origional inhabitants of the space hunk, rather than the destination. Currently the designated Barghesi quarantine zone is undergoing an invasion by a Tyranid Hive Fleet designated Collossus – Reports conclude that the Barghesi have been able to hold against the Tyranids so far. Truly the Barghesi’s endless copies serve as an antithesis to the ever dynamic Tyranids. Imperial shipping is forbidden to encroach on the Barghesi quarantine zone lest they draw the attention of either the Barghesi or the Tyranids.

Threat Index and Imperial Policy

Barghesi are considered a threat to the Imperium, however one which can – given sufficient resources – be dealt with. Though over five thousand packs have been catalogued, a mere three hundred of these have been identified as having cloning facilities. Since evidence exists that the Barghesi are unable to construct further cloning facilities, if resources could be dedicated to these three hundred facilities it is believed that the Barghesi Xenos threat would decrease dramatically – and given time, permanently. Fortunately it is estimated over 90% of the cloning facilities lay in the path of Hive Fleet Colossus. Unfortunately to destroy the remaining 10% of facilities, tech-logos have factored in the increasing spread of the Barghesi War Packs throughout the galaxy and have indicated that any comprehensive action against them would require several cooperating sector commands.

Thought for the day: Purge the Xenos

My pack destroyed and my war machines in smoking ruin… I’ve waited my whole life for this!
Pack Leader Hr’Hrall

Anyway - here's the first model (Grotsnik!)
IPB Image

and the 1st Warspite (without head - I'm struggling with those...
IPB Image

At the moment I'm still deciding on colours...

This post has been edited by Uber_Kroot: Jul 27 2008, 04:07 PM

--------------------
On the Work Bench: Always Quar!!, Now - Napoleonic french!!

"I will say this: Uber Kroot is mad. It is the good kind of mad, like your uncle who has a harmonica and breaks into 'Knocking on Heavens Door' at 9:30 in the pub after two glasses of rum and coke." Red Dragon
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 12 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #2

Well just had a brainwave - and then an evening without kids to worry about to indulge a very productive burst of energy! I solved the head issue with ease! New heads!

The new Packmaster
IPB Image

Some of the pack...
IPB Image

The new warspite
IPB Image

and finally the warmonger.
IPB Image

I've also been giving colours a bit of a thought - I was thinkign tree frog greens and yellows for somethign very different?

--------------------

"I will say this: Uber Kroot is mad. It is the good kind of mad, like your uncle who has a harmonica and breaks into 'Knocking on Heavens Door' at 9:30 in the pub after two glasses of rum and coke." Red Dragon
+Quote Post
The Good Captain
post Apr 13 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,294

I don't know what the ###### is going on here, but it looks pretty trippy. I'm not sold yet, but neither am I never going to be sold on it. It's weird. They're kinda Silent Hill-ish.

Lick 'em with some paint and we'll all be able to formulate a cogent opinion.

TOO EASY BHAR'GHESI!

--------------------
I am always labeled this white conservative kid in a bubble on WAU - but you guys need to know I'm hardcore and nigga and sh*t - Faramirsmumma.
+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 13 2008, 09:41 AM
Post #4

I'll take that as a compliment and simply say - Thankyou.

I'm not aware of silent hill - so it's not a planned thing.

Yeah colours are next - like I said I was thinking Tree Frog bright... but at the same time I have to give them an 'over-used cloning' feel...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Apr 13 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 429

I will say this: Uber Kroot is mad.

It is the good kind of mad, like your uncle who has a harmonica and breaks into 'Knocking on Heavens Door' at 9:30 in the pub after two glasses of rum and coke.

Another Army Diary, another made-up race, comprised of your 'own' models and based on a seperate 40K 'Dex. One can only admire the way you do these things.

it is a shame you don't play Warhammer, as I feel that we could do with all the missing races armies to be done by your good self.

Anyway: The Army: Looks cool. i like what you have done. Sufficently your own, and not looking like any other race. I will keep tabs as usual.

armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Zordana @ Oct 25 2011, 11:40 PM) *

Omg you nerd.

QUOTE(GT @ Jun 15 2012, 09:24 PM) *

Red still looks awesome.

"He knows a lot about Doctor Who"
+Quote Post
NASHRAK
post Apr 13 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 113

I'm sold!!!

Initially I was a bit iffy about them, with the original jetbikes and the head on ur leader. But the Mk II packs warriors and jetbikes look great.

Not sure about the colour scheme though... your using the ork rules and codex and painting them green... seems too close IMO. I know you want to paint them bright green, but I have seen numerous Orkies painted bright green, in fact all my grotz are painted very bright green...

Personally these guys come across as dark and brooding, a manipulative race who covets destruction and chaos... theyre anarchists and theyre proud!! Something dark and different to the norm in 40k would be good. Also, if they are using cloning and industrialised manufacturing processes, then their history of not working and utilising slave labour becomes a bit weak... i think you need to introduce some form of limited class structure into their society...perhaps something like an overseer class... and perhaps introducing a sub-culture or slave class as well. Perhaps those that displease or fail the pack leader are labotomised and become automaton workers in the factories?

Overall though, I like the concept and the MK II guys are looking good. Keep this going!!

--------------------
Death is Certain, Life is Not.

Tourney Results for '07 Campaign:
Conquest: 1 - Speed Freakz
KF: ? Somewhere in the middle ... - Speed Freakz
SAGT: 10 - Eldar
Melb. GT: 3 - Eldar
Apocolypse: 9 - Speed Freakz

Tourney Results for '06 Campaign:
Apocolypse: 8 -Eldar
Melb GT: 1 - Eldar
Conquest: 11 - Eldar
Arc: 32 - Eldar

QUOTE(waxsir @ Sep 1 2007, 10:08 AM) *

well said ash... You’re my knight in shining amour x

QUOTE(Orange-Bell @ Jun 21 2008, 01:31 PM) *

NASHRAK made my happy mood fail.
+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 13 2008, 12:28 PM
Post #7

RD - Thanks mate... and for the record I'll do 'Knocking on Heavens Door' for One Rum & Coke!

NASHRAK - Yeah, You've hit my primary concern on the head - the Green. I envisage them as a degenerate race, far beyong their glory days - a handful of them (pack leaders) passing down the ancient technology and wanting it all to go away... and I also wanted to avoid the ghoul rotting flesh look as well... I've done a black/brown spider army, a purple/green army and a terrcotta army... That leaves me bubonic brown/desert yellow? Throw in some bright green and orange for their quills - kind of with the same feel as the Mayans in Appocalypto perhaps? ...and no not blue = I'm saving the regal/electric blue look for another projects.

But then - by the size of the deff dred I could easily try another army list!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
mark_logue
post Apr 13 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,313

Looks cool. Gaming would always be interesting around your house with all these mad conversions.

--------------------
Epic- A version of the game with even smaller models that is often dominated by titans which are vehicles the size of a large building and have the ability to pwn...everything. There is also infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths.
+Quote Post
NASHRAK
post Apr 13 2008, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 113

QUOTE(Uber_Kroot @ Apr 13 2008, 12:28 PM) *

NASHRAK - Yeah, You've hit my primary concern on the head - the Green. I envisage them as a degenerate race, far beyong their glory days - a handful of them (pack leaders) passing down the ancient technology and wanting it all to go away... and I also wanted to avoid the ghoul rotting flesh look as well... I've done a black/brown spider army, a purple/green army and a terrcotta army... That leaves me bubonic brown/desert yellow? Throw in some bright green and orange for their quills - kind of with the same feel as the Mayans in Appocalypto perhaps? ...and no not blue = I'm saving the regal/electric blue look for another projects.

But then - by the size of the deff dred I could easily try another army list!!

The brown yellow scheme sounds interesting (even though I dont like hawthorne!!), with the green and orange they would become somewhat exotic. Ok, I like the sound of this. The dred is good too, that and the jetbike are what prompted my thoughts on needing a class structure for this race. But I understand exactly where your coming from.

I'm looking forwards to seeing more of this. Perhaps a few test models colour wise before you embark on the army as a whole? It might help focus exactly where you will go model wise?

Anyways, good luck with it!!

--------------------
Death is Certain, Life is Not.

Tourney Results for '07 Campaign:
Conquest: 1 - Speed Freakz
KF: ? Somewhere in the middle ... - Speed Freakz
SAGT: 10 - Eldar
Melb. GT: 3 - Eldar
Apocolypse: 9 - Speed Freakz

Tourney Results for '06 Campaign:
Apocolypse: 8 -Eldar
Melb GT: 1 - Eldar
Conquest: 11 - Eldar
Arc: 32 - Eldar

QUOTE(waxsir @ Sep 1 2007, 10:08 AM) *

well said ash... You’re my knight in shining amour x

QUOTE(Orange-Bell @ Jun 21 2008, 01:31 PM) *

NASHRAK made my happy mood fail.
+Quote Post
The Good Captain
post Apr 14 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,294

QUOTE(Uber_Kroot @ Apr 13 2008, 09:41 AM) *

I'll take that as a compliment and simply say - Thankyou.

I'm not aware of silent hill - so it's not a planned thing.

Yeah colours are next - like I said I was thinking Tree Frog bright... but at the same time I have to give them an 'over-used cloning' feel...

Oh, it was intended as a compliment honestly. I've just never heard of the Bhar'ghesi and this project came as a bit of a suckerpunch.

Looking good though man, keep it up.

--------------------
I am always labeled this white conservative kid in a bubble on WAU - but you guys need to know I'm hardcore and nigga and sh*t - Faramirsmumma.
+Quote Post
YAUJTA
post Apr 14 2008, 07:59 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,496

http://images.google.com.au/images?hl=en&a...sa=N&tab=wi

Anything there could make for a good colour scheme if bright and frog like is the criteria you're going for.

All great stuff so far.

--------------------
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me
+Quote Post
C'tan Worldkiller
post Apr 14 2008, 08:13 AM
Post #12

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,520

nice fluff there, love the concept! and orks are definitly a good counts-as for them.

--------------------
REAL Necron fans listen to Death-Robot Music ;
- Carnivore Adaption -
+Quote Post
Diesel
post Apr 14 2008, 10:02 AM
Post #13

Still a Slave to Commorragh...

Member No.: 110

CraZY Mofo mate, Crazy mofo....as usual I will expect some excellent modelling and imagination.!!

When we we see Uber Kroot does a Space Marine army? biggrin.gif

Cheers

Tony
+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 14 2008, 10:52 AM
Post #14

Jautja - thanks for the pics - they're great inspiration.

Good Captain - they're mentioned in the latest 40K rulebook, but only listed as the 'hyper-violent Bhar'ghesi' in the Xenos section... the rest I made up!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Apr 14 2008, 09:23 PM
Post #15

I do hope Gav Thorpe never finds this thread. In the next rule book there will be a throw away line about the giant blamange people of the ring of nebula, and Uber-kroot willl scratch build there home planet from Green Stuff and old bits of Tomb Kings biggrin.gif

--------------------

Omg you nerd.

Red still looks awesome.

+Quote Post
Uber_Kroot
post Apr 14 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #16

"Often called the Blamange, or Blah-Mang-ge, certain Ordo Xenos have speculated that they live either on the ring around the nebula or in the nebula surrounded by the ring - either way they are a very silly race..."

Something like that? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jais
post Apr 19 2008, 10:24 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,240

I am not completely sure about these....

They look good, but... well, I dont really know what to think.

Slap some paint on 'em, so it will be easier to judge!

--------------------
I HAVE SKILLS IN THE BED!!!!!!

- The Skillseking (a.k.a Thomas Andrè)
+Quote Post
Carnex
post Apr 20 2008, 03:19 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,175

So far they look great to me. I relly wanna see what you do with a colour scheme this time. And once again mate you have shown your ability to write some awesome fluff.

--------------------
QUOTE(radle @ Dec 13 2007, 02:04 PM) *
Remember, Mathhammer doesn't annoy people, people annoy people.

Mathhammer is just a tool, like some people are tools.

Imperial Guard
W: 5 / L: 1 / D: 2
+Quote Post
Red Dragon
post Apr 20 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(Uber_Kroot @ Apr 14 2008, 10:24 PM) *

"Often called the Blamange, or Blah-Mang-ge, certain Ordo Xenos have speculated that they live either on the ring around the nebula or in the nebula surrounded by the ring - either way they are a very silly race..."

Something like that? wink.gif

Yeah somehting like that!

Don't listen to the nay-sayers. The world needs Uber_Kroot madness!!!!!!

--------------------

Omg you nerd.

Red still looks awesome.

+Quote Post
BoBo
post Apr 20 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #20

Republic of BoBostan

Member No.: 3,020

I Love the new warspite, thats one cool looking jetbike!

All thats neede is some paint in these guys to really set them off though I have no Idea what colours... I did think a sort of icky, pale "I haven't spent enough time in the sun light" sort of look would suit them but you did want to avoid the ghoul look...

--------------------
Likes orange.
I mean really, really likes orange.

"Wau is like the parent to all of us. The one place we can ask for advice, and expect to get great advice we can live by."

"The most consistently insane looking person I've ever seen" - Chaplain Fortis

My current painting projects
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st October 2014 - 08:47 AM