GreenMonkey
post Oct 5 2009, 12:10 AM
Post #1

~Abracadabra~

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 143

Fists of Retribution

Background:

So after a long hiatus playing WHFB I've finally decided to get back into 40k, 2 editions after I left it a couple of years ago. I decided to do a Space Marine army based on the Crimson Fists chapter for Judgment of Legends, however with my own colour scheme and a slight change of name. I've always wanted to do a Spakky army since the new dex was released... those Sternguard minis just razzle my berries too much to ignore!

The list I'm thinking of taking probably isn't the norm, as I'm wanting to base the force around scouts (i.e. lots of scout troops, bikes and Land Speeder Storms. I've not got much of an idea what is exactly good or the standard cookie-cutter list, given my long hiatus from the game. However I'll definitely be including a rather large unit of Sternguard at some stage, paired with Kantor and a Land Raider Redeemer (as Organboy liked to call it, a really good thing with a really good thing in a really good thing!). I'm a big fan of the scout plastics and find them a little more of a challenge to paint compared to normal tactical marines, hence why the force will be based around them.

The colour scheme I'm working on will be blue armour/bone fists. The trim on the shoulder pads I'm thinking will be a light gray and I'm going to be mixing in some purple on the purity seals as well, just for that little bit of contrast.

IPB Image

Fluff:

First shot at writing some fluff... got the Fist template off TB&C forums

IPB Image

Index thus far:

Scout

Sternguard

Razorback

Thoughts on Airbrushing

Scout Squad Finished

The List:

As I said above I've not got much of an idea as to what is optimal and what isn't, given my severe lack of experience with 5th ed. I've mainly chosen it from discussions with Organboy & Stalks and chosen units that after reading the dex I thought would work well together.

TROOPS:

5 Scouts
CC Blades
Power Fist

10 Scouts
Snipers
Heavy Bolter

HQ:

Captain
Storm Bolter
Power Fist

ELITES:

5 Sternguard
Combi Melter
Power Fist

Dedicated Transport (Razorback)
Standard Heavy Bolter
Storm Bolter

FAST ATTACK:

Land Speeder Storm
Heavy Flamer

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Thunderfire Cannon

TOTAL: 748 Points

To date:

To date I've made a fair start on the Razorback and managed to put together the Scout Bikes and the Land Speeder (which took waaaaaay too long, so many parts to that damn mini). Also made a start on the Sternguard, which I really can't wait to get stuck into. My missus was kind enough to get me an airbrush for my b-day, which has made the process of painting the Razorback quite an easy one. I don't know what I was doing all this time without one. If anyone is keen on me doing some tutorials on using the airbrush (keeping in mind I can only tell you how I've found it and what works for me so far) I'd be keen to write up something.

The Future:

I'm hoping to build this army up to a sizable force of around 2000 points, which I'm hoping would include the following:

Additional Sternguard minis (hoping to bring the unit up to 10 strong)
Pedro Kantor (counts as)
Small unit of Tactical Marines
2 Ironclad Dreadnaughts
Land Raider Redeemer (already got my hands on the Forgeworld fist doors - cheers Roy)
5 CC Terminators - Thunder Hammers & Storm Shields (Managed to get my hands on the Fists Termie Shoulder Pads)
MOAR SCOUTS!

Well thats my JoL10 diary so far. I'll add some better quality snaps of my WIP razorback if I manage to get a chance tomorrow night.

Thanks for reading! armata_PDT_37.gif

Cheers,

Jordo

This post has been edited by GreenMonkey: Nov 17 2010, 12:21 PM

--------------------
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
blackwolf
post Oct 5 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 4,785

Jordo, would love to know how you went about airbrushing your rhino. It looks pretty damn good already armata_PDT_37.gif

--------------------
Mat

'Drink hard, game responsibly'

+Quote Post
Diesel
post Oct 5 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #3

Still a Slave to Commorragh...

Member No.: 110

Good Work Jordy biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing what you get upto!

Deez
+Quote Post
Griddon
post Oct 5 2009, 06:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 5,917

Yeah, the rhino looks really smartly done already. Detail please! smile.gif
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Oct 6 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #5

~Abracadabra~

Cheers for the replies guys.

Thought I might add a little more in regards to my new experience with the airbrush.

So let's start from the beginning. I picked up my whole kit off the Irresistible Force website for around $280. That included the airbrush, compressor, cleaning pot (must have) and a tub of airbrush cleaner (which I've only just found out is basically the same thing as Windex $16 bucks later).

I found that you can pretty much put most types of paint through it. I've managed to use Citadel, Vallejo, Privateer Press Formula P3 and Derivan paints to varying levels of success, however the Vallejo probably works the best. I have had a fair bit of trouble with foundation paints as the particles seem to be too big to be passed through the brush, regardless of how much you water it down.

IPB Image

I think it's probably best I just give you all a few points I've picked up on when using it, rather than rant on aimlessly. Keep in mind that I've only just got one and I'm by no means an expert, or intermediate... or beginner probably...:

1. I've found it best to have the paint the paint around the consistency of milk by just using water as a thinner. There are probably plenty of airbrush thinners out there but water seems to do the trick at my level of skill (which isn't high). The thinner you have your paint the less chance it's going to clog the brush. I tend to do a tester with a paintbrush on a piece of paper to determine if the paint is the right consistency by looking at the level of opaqueness.

2. If the air pressure is pushing the paint around on the surface of the mini you are probably doing one of three things wrong:

- The pressure passing through the brush is too high and you need to adjust at the brush.
- You aren't moving the airbrush fast enough to get an even coat for the pressure applied.
- The airbrush is too close to the surface for the pressure applied.

An example of what I mean when the air pressure is pushing the paint around the surface is as follows:

IPB Image

Once you get the air pressure right and your brush adjusted to let the right amount of paint though the application should look something like this:

IPB Image

I've found that the lower the pressure the closer you can get to the surface, however if the pressure is low the tip tends to clog quite easily.

3. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! The bad thing about airbrushing is that it requires a fair bit of cleaning up at the end. I tend to flush through a few tubs of water before putting an airbrush cleaner through (which Windex would probably do the same job and is quite a bit cheaper).

If you guys have any beginners queries (cause that's pretty much all I'm able to give you smile.gif ) just shoot me through a PM

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Apr 5 2010, 10:48 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Oct 25 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #6

~Abracadabra~

Hey guys,

Just though I'd give you all an update as to my slow progress so far. I've just moved house and set up the painting station so straight back into the painting!

This is essentially a tester mini but I'm pretty satisfied with it so far so I think the scheme will be as follows:

IPB Image

I had a fairly hard time coming up with a decent colour scheme that would suit. If you guys had any suggestions that would be awesome. Being a Crimsion Fists spin off I'd like to think the bone fists I've given him would stand out a little more, but I think they tend to blend into the grey cloth a little. Also I wasn't too sure whether or nor to have two different colour cords leading from his rifle to the backpack. I was thinking purple and red or possibly purple and green. This could potentially make it too busy though so I ended up just going both purple.

C&C very welcome!

Cheers guys,

JB

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Oct 25 2009, 04:16 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Drazah
post Oct 25 2009, 04:04 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,175

thats one nice looking scout smile.gif

also like the base a lot smile.gif
+Quote Post
Blue Cypher
post Oct 25 2009, 04:16 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8

I wouldn't change a thing. Looks awsome.

--------------------
"I am Silas Hand, Chosen of the Inqusition. I am the fist of the Emperor here, and I decide who dies!"
Inquisitor Hand
+Quote Post
Orgz
post Oct 25 2009, 04:37 PM
Post #9

<3

Member No.: 159

Looks sick. Now repeat another 14 times and another 3 times plus bikes and another 6 times plus landspeeder wink.gif

Gonna be one freakin impressive army when it's done.

I'm thinking maybe brighten the blue highlights on his arm guard, but that's all.

This post has been edited by organboy: Oct 25 2009, 04:43 PM

--------------------
<3 Orgz

TWAT: The Wargamer A Team
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Oct 25 2009, 04:50 PM
Post #10

~Abracadabra~

Was thinking the same thing with the arm guard... already rectified!

Thanks for the comments too guys

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Oct 25 2009, 04:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Doombreed
post Oct 25 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 329

Fantastic painting mate, will be keeping an eye out for updates for sure!

--------------------
Press Ganger for Adelaide... currently living in exile in Munich.

Road to War army diary forum

2011 Warmahordes event calendar - find tournaments and other events near you!
+Quote Post
Bishop
post Oct 26 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #12

Mozzie: Maori in Oz

Member No.: 406

Looks sweet mate.

--------------------
Cheers
Mark

Whanau - Trollbloods (Hordes) Convic Painting Challenge Blog/Modelling Diary | Swordwing - DA Doublewing (40k) | Markz & Sparkz - Orks (40k) | Dread Company - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | Junkyard Dogs - SM (40k) Blog/Modelling Diary | K-Block - Orcs (BB) Blog/Modelling Diary
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Oct 27 2009, 10:04 AM
Post #13

~Abracadabra~

Cheers guys,

I was thinking for a second unit of scout snipers I'd differentiate between the two units by having one unit with normal snipers (above) and one unit with the Stalker pattern bolters (thanks for the idea Stalks smile.gif ). Essentially I'd just get the normal bolter scouts, place this scope on top:

http://www.thecombatcompany.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=358

and get a piece of plastic rod on the end for a silencer.

The only issue is the lack of camo cloaks, so hopefully these will fit on the top of their shoulders behind their heads:

http://www.thecombatcompany.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=478

If anyone has any better ideas I'd be glad to hear them!

JB

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blue Cypher
post Oct 27 2009, 12:24 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 8

Guessing by stalker pattern u mean these ones:
http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=157168

Before the plastic scouts came out I had designed my own sniper rifle using a bolter & a kroot rifle which I thought looked pretty cool:
IPB Image

--------------------
"I am Silas Hand, Chosen of the Inqusition. I am the fist of the Emperor here, and I decide who dies!"
Inquisitor Hand
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Oct 27 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #15

~Abracadabra~

Kind of like that. I was originally going to replicate Sergeant Telion's Stalker Pattern Bolter, however the silencer on the end would be just short of the length of the ones on the sniper rifles:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...Id=prod1500002#

I'm liking the idea of the stubby bolter look rather than the long rifle look. The problem is though just getting enough scope bits to do the right conversions.

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Oct 27 2009, 12:51 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Orgz
post Oct 27 2009, 12:57 PM
Post #16

<3

Member No.: 159

I've found that sniper scouts look good as sniper scouts. Especially when painted by you.

--------------------
<3 Orgz

TWAT: The Wargamer A Team
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Nov 1 2009, 02:41 PM
Post #17

~Abracadabra~

Touche... lol

Added some more detailed pictures of the Razorback below as I've split up each unit and indexed at the top.

Also made a fair start on the Sternguard, Scouts and put together my bikes. A little stuck with colours though for all the bits and bobs hanging off them. I'm trying to avoid using metallic paint as much as I can though so that makes it even more difficult. That airbrush is speeding things up though! Well worth it if you guys were thinking of getting one.

IPB Image

IPB Image

The sergeant with the fist on the bike looks a little like Disco Stu, so I may have to reposition that arm...

Bases will essentially be as follows:

IPB Image

Just registered for Arc so it looks like I'll have to get 1200 done by Australia day! I'll essentially just be building on the 750pt JoL roster listed above:

Kantor

10 Sniper Scouts
Camo Cloaks
Heavy Bolter

10 Sniper Scouts
Camo Cloaks
Heavy Bolter

5 Scouts
Power Fist

Sternguard Veteran Squad (to go with Kantor in the Razorback)
Combi Melta
Power Fist

Dedicated Razorback Transport

Ironclad
2x Heavy Flamers
Dedicated Drop Pod

Land Speeder Storm
Heavy Flamer

Scout Bike Squad
Power Fist
Locator Beacon

Comes in at around 1195.

JB

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Nov 1 2009, 04:24 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Knight_of_Sanguinius
post Nov 1 2009, 03:03 PM
Post #18

Clay Eater

From: Westsieeda! Victoria. Was, Canada Montreal, West Island!!!!
Member No.: 138

Great work so far keep it up.

How are you doing the whites, GW Badabracadabra black and then build up?
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Nov 1 2009, 03:14 PM
Post #19

~Abracadabra~

Cheers mate!

Whites are done as follows:

1. Dheneb Stone Foundation base coat
2. 50:50 Devlin Mud/water wash
(if you look above, this is the stage where the 4 sternguard in the background are at with their helmets)
3. Dheneb Stone foundation over the top again leaving the Devlin Mud wash in the recesses.
4. 30:70 Skull White/Dheneb Stone highlight
5. 70:30 Skull White/Dheneb Stone highlight
6. Skull white highlights.

Given that there are a few layers there you'll need to water down your paints a fair bit

The fist on the tank is essentially the same as the above, the grey background is also the same but i've just replaced Dheneb stone with Codex Grey.

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Nov 1 2009, 03:25 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
GreenMonkey
post Nov 1 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #20

~Abracadabra~

WIP on the Razorback (thought I'd move it to a second post given I've got the ball rolling now).

Highlighting that many edges is starting to drive me crazy...

IPB Image

IPB Image

This post has been edited by Greenmonkeydishwater: Nov 1 2009, 03:50 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2019 - 07:00 AM