Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [40k] Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow, Post Arcanacon update. Full army shots inside.
Asher
post Nov 23 2009, 09:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 3,860

It's all my Girlfriend's fault really.

No, it's mine. I made the mistake of entering a Hobby store with out my usual spotter (You know, the one who slaps you around the head if you try to start another army, that sort of thing.) but she encouraged me! There I was having a general browse, when a box of Snap-fit termagants caught my eye. "Hmm" I mused. "Those look like they'd be interesting to pain. They'd certainly be different from all those Guardsmen and Elves!"
Now this is the point where my Best Friend/Spotter slaps me around the earhole and tells me to stop being stupid and that I already have far too many unpainted models. Unfortunately (perhaps fortunately) this is not the response I received. "Sure! I think you'd have a lot of fun painting those." she smiled.

And thus my fate was sealed.

Like the Cygnar Diary I started yonks ago (and intend to revive once MK II gets released) this is partially retrospective, as I never know when I'll give up on a project, or whether it will turn out to be diary worthy. So, lets look at what I've done so far:
IPB Image
Voila! The very first Tyranid. It's not often that I'm happy with a colour scheme straight off the bat. I decided to muck about with washes and this was the result. The other 4 gaunts in the box received some horrible alternatives before being returned to the simple green Biovats.
IPB Image

Happy with how the gaunt turned out I dug around in my Bitz boxes until I found some Genestealers one of my brothers had given me years and years ago (I must have been about 12).
IPB ImageIPB Image
As you can see here I tried to translate the scheme as much as I could, while still paying homage to those old pink and purple Genestealers of yore. Yes the mould lines are horrible. Yes I have learnt from my folly. At this stage I had no idea it was going to blossom into an army, I was just messing about and painting some stuff for fun!

Soon I ran out of models to paint:
IPB Image
IPB Image

Then something rather unexpected happened. FatDamien (whose Daemons you are probably already watching here) handed me a Carnifex as he stepped out to travel the world, cure the sick, solve world hunger or whatever it is these talented folks do. Having told me that he looked forward to seeing what I did with it, I obviously set out to paint it to the best standard I was capable of. Something a bit special (beyond my usual Laissez-faire approach to painting anyway) was in order.

Basing is something I generally don't pay a lot of attention to. Put some sand on it, dry brush it a few times, add some static-grass and I'm a happy man. I decided to go for something a bit more fancy here.
IPB Image
IPB Image

I glued the Fex together in a series of sub assemblies (as you do) and briefly toyed with the idea of having the guardsman whose equipment decorated the base present in a small manner.
IPB Image
I couldn't find a way of making it look less silly, so the idea was abandoned.

This post has been edited by Asher: Jan 24 2011, 07:24 PM

--------------------
Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)

"Leapin' and Hoppin' on a Warpshadow" - Mah Nids
The Swordwind Rises! - Biel Tan. All Aspects. All the time.
"Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 23 2009, 09:44 PM
Post #2

I decided to go for something tradition: Lots of spiky death.
IPB Image
Here we can see Chester (as he came to be known) Blue-Tacked together sitting on his base.

I was briefly distracted by doing up a base for a Broodlord I'd bought.
IPB Image

Then I got down to the business of actually doing some serious painting:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I really cannot get over how good the new GW washes are. From the previous phot's all I've done is wash the recesses with Devlan Mud, and the entire model with Badab black. Voila! Instant shading!
IPB Image
IPB Image

I paid special attention to the head
IPB Image
IPB Image

I also painted a Spore Mine:
IPB Image

--------------------
Things my Red Terror has Swallowed Whole: A Mentors Librarian, a Fire Warrior Sash'Ui. Total Points: 109 (so far...)

"Before seeking Victory, first make yourself Invulnerable to defeat" - Sneaky sneaky Raptors
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 23 2009, 09:52 PM
Post #3

IPB Image
Raaaaawrrr!

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I got the Carnifex finished to a standard I was happy with but felt really burns out on painting afterwards. I don't think I picked up a brush in a couple of months. On that appropriate note (feeling burned out) I am going to bed. We pick up in the not too distant past when I drag myself out of bed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rojo
post Nov 23 2009, 10:18 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 3,411

Asher, I think you may have broken. These 'nids look awesome and I'm glad you're sharing them with the world. I'll have to give you a game some time if we manage to be at WGoL at the same time!

--------------------
WGoL TO THE FACE!@!!@!@

I play wardollies when I'm not working on my guns.

It's not easy being green...
+Quote Post
Citizen
post Nov 23 2009, 10:55 PM
Post #5

Filthy Immigrant

Member No.: 6,262

Very, very nice. I quite like how pale the chitin is before you Mudded it though. I reckon a watered down DM wash would work better on the chitin.

I still effing love it though. God I adore 'Nids.

--------------------
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Nov 23 2010, 04:28 PM) *
You're all incredibly lame. Except for Citizen. He's awesome.

Orange Khador
+Quote Post
RandomAbuse
post Nov 24 2009, 11:01 AM
Post #6

Do or do not
Group Icon

Group: Staff
Member No.: 6,895

Good to see some pics up Asher, carnifex looks incredible, nice work!

--------------------
QUOTE(rogal_dorn @ Dec 3 2013, 10:02 PM) *
You may think this will fix it Dent, but I'll put my faith in Batforik.

QUOTE(Krefey @ Jun 12 2014, 01:41 PM) *

Pick up RandomAbuse.

(man, I should use a different phrase for that)
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 24 2009, 11:12 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Rojo @ Nov 23 2009, 11:18 PM) *

Asher, I think you may have broken. These 'nids look awesome and I'm glad you're sharing them with the world. I'll have to give you a game some time if we manage to be at WGoL at the same time!

Broken like a FOX! Thanks, RO, I haven't played you for aaaaages and I'd love to get a game in. Has Damien been trying to get you to come along to Northland on Thursdays? He also mentioned a Battle Bunker trip at some point as well.

QUOTE(Citizen @ Nov 23 2009, 11:55 PM) *

Very, very nice. I quite like how pale the chitin is before you Mudded it though. I reckon a watered down DM wash would work better on the chitin.

I still effing love it though. God I adore 'Nids.

Cheers man! Without the wash, in my opinion it doesn't look that good. It's Bestial Brown base, then 2 bestial brown/ Bleached Bone mixes before the bleached bone steaking. I then hit it with the wash and then do another layer of Bleached bone steaking over that. Without the wash it jsut looks really flat. I've tried a watered down wash on some of the 'Stealers (coming in the next update) and it loks ok. I think the heavier wash adds more depth though.

QUOTE(RandomAbuse @ Nov 24 2009, 12:01 PM) *

Good to see some pics up Asher, carnifex looks incredible, nice work!

Thanks Damien. We should try to get a game in some time in the future as well, if you can drag yourself away from your filthy Druchii. tongue.gif

I'll get to work on the next slab of pictures and blather.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 24 2009, 11:24 AM
Post #8

After a break of a couple of months, I just woke up one morning and decided that what I really felt like doing was painting some Tyranids. I still didn't have anything approaching a legal army so I launched a swift raid on BS&S, coming away many dollars poorer, but richer by about 4 sets of Macragge nids. More snapfit Gaunts, Stealers, spore mines and objective than you can poke a feeder tendril at.

Speaking of Feeder Tendrils, I decided that what my Broodlord really need to be able to do was molest Japanese School Girls:
IPB Image

I also cranked out another 10 Gaunts. I can't remember how long it took me then, but now I can get them done in < 1 hour per gaunt.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I then got decided to paint the Broodlord jsut so I had an HQ choice finished
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
He really, really would like to eat your brains

I also got some macragge 'Stealers done so that I coudl actually legally field him
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 24 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #9

Dave (DarkSun) kindly sold me some Warriors, so I pumped them out as quickly as possible, eager to actually get the army on the table.
Before Wash:
IPB Image

After Wash:
IPB Image
IPB Image
It's like magic! (All the detailing and basing helps as well.)

This brought me to a fully painted, legal (if not brilliant) 1000 point list that I could actually take to the field!
IPB Image
IPB Image

At some point I got around to basing and painting up some of the objective markers. You can see them hiding amongst the swarm.

Sadly, this is the point at which my fairly obsessive photo taking breaks down. I got my grubby paws on The Red Terror courtesy of kaos and soon had him painted and ready to kick ass and take names, or at least dismember them brutaly and devour their remains.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

More Macragge 'Stealers were painted and I added an old Armorcast Exocrine to the swarm courtesy of "The E-Bay".
IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
EmpireGuard
post Nov 25 2009, 09:31 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,304

Looking good armata_PDT_37.gif

However I decided you don't need to spend the point on making any of them T7 because umm well its hard enought to wound them when they are T6 and you would make me a sad panda.

--------------------
Imperial Zoo at Altdorf

Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 25 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #11

I appreciate your words of wisdom! laugh.gif
You'll be happy to know I'm not taking anything T7 to Arc.

IPB Image
IPB Image

And that brings us to the present day. I'm working on "Lester" the Walkrant at the moment.

Here's everything I have assembled at the moment in all it's dubious glory.
IPB Image
IPB Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Waggerz
post Nov 25 2009, 12:21 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 6,354

Looking good Asher. The painting is fantastic.

I feel like I'm the only wgol person not to contribute some models, but before you ask NO you can't have my space hulk stealers. I might be able to did up a genestealer head on a chaos space marine spike, will that help? smile.gif

--------------------
If a tech priest goes to ground against telsa weapons, does he take no damage?

40K Arbites Army (current) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=132589
40K Praetorian Guard (on hold) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=116546
Alpha Legion (complete) - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71055
Tables from Trash - http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=130746
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 25 2009, 12:28 PM
Post #13

I already have far more Genestealers than I really need. (60ish Inc the Hulk Stealers)

If you felt like contributing I'd love to borrow (just borrow I promise!) a couple of magnets to play around with for bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
emplion
post Nov 25 2009, 12:30 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,795

This looks awesome. I've been considering diving back into painting 40K once I've got my CANCON WFB WoC army painted - was thinking about my Ultramarines but you've definitely got me considering my Tyranids...

Cheers

--------------------
Paul - boardgamer
+Quote Post
EmpireGuard
post Nov 25 2009, 12:52 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 3,304

QUOTE(Waggerz @ Nov 25 2009, 01:21 PM) *

I feel like I'm the only wgol person not to contribute some models, but before you ask NO you can't have my space hulk stealers. I might be able to did up a genestealer head on a chaos space marine spike, will that help? smile.gif

I haven't but I do have a few (3 I think) gaunts somewhere doing nothing if you want some Asher.

Ps I can't wait to see that giant bio gun thing in action (against someone else I hope)

--------------------
Imperial Zoo at Altdorf

Please help create a comprehensive data base of every Wargaming model ever made by clicking here.
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 25 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(emplion @ Nov 25 2009, 01:30 PM) *

This looks awesome. I've been considering diving back into painting 40K once I've got my CANCON WFB WoC army painted - was thinking about my Ultramarines but you've definitely got me considering my Tyranids...

Cheers

I'm finding Tyranids really fun to paint. They're a refreshing change from having to paint armour, pouches, faces and other humany bits.

QUOTE(EmpireGuard @ Nov 25 2009, 01:52 PM) *

I haven't but I do have a few (3 I think) gaunts somewhere doing nothing if you want some Asher.

Ps I can't wait to see that giant bio gun thing in action (against someone else I hope)

Thanks Matt! I currently have a sufficiently massive number gaunts but I'll keep it in mind wink.gif
I'm pretty keen toget the Exocrine on the table as well. Unfortunaly taking him to Arc would be a bit iffy, so he's going to have to wait until I have a better 1200 done. An Apoc game would be a nice way to use him with the BoLS rules, as opposed to using him as a "Counts As" Gunfex.

Moar Pictuares!
IPB Image
IPB Image

I've finished streaking Lester's carapace and I've washed the recesses with Devlan Mud (all hail!). The next step is to tidy up up the white, then wash everythigg with Badab black. Then it's time for more streaking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Reunion-Round
post Nov 25 2009, 03:43 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 6,737

whats the big thing in the back?

Paint Scheme is just so well done. Perfect contrast to the bases as well. Props, its great work
+Quote Post
Asher
post Nov 25 2009, 11:38 PM
Post #18

That would be an old Armorcast Exocrine, circa 1995 that I snagged on ebay.

Thanks, for the comments, I was pretty happy with how the contrast worked out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FatDamien
post Nov 26 2009, 07:44 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1,093

I see a Flyrant! Grrrr! OoooOOooo and a Malanthrope!
I love this army. Keep it up dude.

--------------------
War Gamers of LaTrobe
"Get your geek on."

+Quote Post
DarkSun
post Nov 26 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,411

Asher..... KICK ARSE! They look even better in person, but you have taken some great snaps there =)

(is your painting technique really that straight forward? brilliant!)

-Dave

--------------------
--> WGoL <--
+Quote Post

12 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2019 - 05:40 PM