Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Voyagers Assortment of Lunacy, 15/04 - more Circle goodness
voyager
post Jun 12 2010, 05:27 PM
Post #1

Floreat Gerboa

Group: Veteran Members
Member No.: 562

Due to my webspace being reworked at present, pictures/links may be broken for a short while.

*** Many of the models herein have since been sold with the armies they were part of, and no longer exist anywhere but here ***

Rather than start multiple threads that I'll only sporadically update, I'll keep it to one. This will house work on pretty much anything I'm doing, and it will probably be pretty random given that my list of potential victims... er... models is fairly extensive.

I'm keeping this log as an additional method to help me improve my work. Aside from valuable feedback that many people here provide, this is also a good way to keep all my thoughts and learnings in a single place.

So lets begin with a Silver Helm. I decided when beginning to collect a High Elf army that I wanted to stick close to the colour scheme in the army book. I've varied it slightly by darkening the blue and added a touch of cream to the white. Not 100% happy with the blue but the white came up exactly as I wanted it too. Big kudos to the P3 Menoth White Highlight for that.

Edited - new photos.

IPB Image
Silver Helm, Front Left

IPB Image
Silver Helm, Left Side

I'm aware the gems are flat - I've not sealed the model yet, and thus haven't put the gloss on either.

Not sure what will come next. I have been looking at some Necrons in dire need of attention, but there is a lot to choose from and my mood will dictate what I select.

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 24 2013, 07:34 PM

--------------------
Airbrushing 101 - A Complete Tutorial - everything you wanted to know but were afraid to search for
Assortment of Lunacy - general hobby log
7th Armoured Division, 23rd Company - Imperial Guard Armoured Battlegroup
Cadian v Catachan Diorama - Paintball 40K style
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
fmi1979
post Jun 12 2010, 08:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,712

Really nice work, not so sure about the long grass on the base though.

--------------------
Thought for the day

Tread lightly and carry a nuclear weapon

Finished projects
World War 1 Early War Germans
US Marines vs Taliban
Falkland War Royal Marines vs Argentina
War of the Roses Yorkist army
British Napoleonics

Work Bench
Warhammer Fantasy 4th ed Empire
Warhammer Fantasy 3rd ed Dwarf

On the Backburner
Rogue Trader Ultramarines
Imperial Fists
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 15 2010, 11:25 PM
Post #3

Floreat Gerboa

With the view to painting up a whole army of High Elves I figured I should look at the core troops sorted. I don't really want to spend 10+ hours on each model (I'm not that good either as a painter or general to warrant it) so these have a few rough edges. I need to work on this a little more. Luckily I have plenty of these guys to practise on.

IPB Image
High Elf Spearman

Blue on the shield is too dark, I'll need to sort that out for future efforts.

IPB Image
High Elf Archer

Wonder what will be next?

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 15 2010, 11:37 PM

--------------------
Airbrushing 101 - A Complete Tutorial - everything you wanted to know but were afraid to search for
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 16 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Floreat Gerboa

I wrote this for the Corner of the Attic forum after speaking to a lot of people at that club who are relucatant to put paint onto their models. Didn't think we'd have much call for something so simple here, but this IS my thread of random stuff - seems like a good place for it.

Please ignore the mould lines. I sure did tongue.gif

#---- Speed Painting with Washes ----#

I've noticed a large number of armies lately with little to no paintwork done. I know many of us are busy and don't always have time to do a stellar paint job, but with the new painting products available to us now its pretty easy to do a very reasonable tabletop standard paintjob on large numbers of models quickly.

To help with this, I've put together a simple demonstration of how to do this. I've used a 3rd Edition Ork for the example but this technique will work on most models found in 40K and WHFB. I would hesitate to use this method for Space Marines or similar figures (works fine on Guard) due to the large flat areas.

Assuming you've built the model, this is the process:

Important Notes

To make this work best, these are the things you will need to do.

Thin the Paint
To make this technique work best you will need to thin down your paint slightly. About 2 parts paint to 1 part water will do. This means the paint won't give you 100% coverage initially (you'll need 2-3 coats) but it won't flood your detail AND it will go on faster and smoother. 2 coats may SOUND like more work but in actual fact it won't take any significant extra time due to the dilution. Try it, you'll see.

Tonal Range
Use colours that are distinct and separate. The wash method will homogenise the colours - if they start too close together in tone and colour they'll end up as one block of colour.

OK, with that in mind, lets go.

Step 1 - Undercoat

Spray the model with white primer (GW Skull White). You don't need to drench the figure, just enough to make your paint stick. Once the primer is dry, block in any metal areas in black. If you're thinning the paint right this will take 2 coats and probably won't be a deep black - that's fine. Your model should resemble this one (hopefully without the visible mould lines):

IPB Image

Step 2 - Basecoat

OK, the BIG thing here - the technique we'll use will darken and richen most of the colours we use. Whatever colour you want the end result to be, use a base colour that is LIGHTER then that one. For instance, if you want something to be Ultramarines Blue in the end, use Enchanted Blue. If you want something to be Graveyard Earth, use Kommando Khaki and so on.

Thin the paints as detailed before, and block in your colours. I used a light green (around Scorpion Green) for the skin, Khemri Brown for the pants, Snakebite Leather for the tunic, Charadon Granite for the boots & gloves, Enchanted Blue for the tassles, Scorched Brown for the belt & straps and Bleached Bone for the teeth, nails and skull on the weapon hilt.

IPB Image

Step 3 - Metals

Block in your metals. Since this is an Ork, I based them in Tin Bitz then scrubbed them with Boltgun Metal to give a nice dirty feel. The belt buckle and gun logo were done in Brazen Brass and were spared the scrubbing to keep them shiny.

IPB Image

Step 4 - Washes

Here's the big step - to transform the model from a basecoated block to a figure fit for gaming. Grab your washes. Wash the areas according to this guide:

Metals: Badab Black
"Black" areas: Badab Black
Leather, Cloth, etc (so browns, greys, etc): Devlan Mud
Large Colour Areas: 3 parts matching colour wash plus one part Devlan Mud
Accents: match the colour (blue for blue, red for red, etc)

So for my Ork, the metals got Badab Black, the clothing (all of it bar the boots) got Devlan Mud, boots got Badab Black, the accent got Asurman Blue, teeth got Devlan Mud and the ork skin got a 3:1 mix of Thraka Green and Devlan Mud.

IPB Image

Step 5 - Fine Details

Lastly, once the washes are dry, finish the details. Dot in the eyes for example, but you're basically done now. I didn't do the base on this model but a simple textured base can be done the same way. Paint it one shade lighter, wash it with Devlan Mud then give it a drybrush.

Hope this helps you get some armies onto the tabletop soon.

--------------------
+Quote Post
g2
post Jun 17 2010, 10:19 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,453

Nice looking Silver Helm.

I do not mind the dark blue. The white does look great. I may need to get some of that P3 white paint. smile.gif

Your tutorial on the ork is a good one. Especially if you just want to paint minis for the tabletop. I would rather see minis like yours (with the mould lines) rather than un-painted minis on the table. - Great Work.

Keep it up.

--------------------
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Painting Blog: Standing Small

My Wanted List: Wanted List
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
+Quote Post
Tyra_Nid
post Jun 17 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #6

Not Insulting You
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran I
Member No.: 3,092

Wow mate, youve improved your non-tank painting in leaps and bounds!

Those elves look great!

Pro-tip for fantasy: Do the front-rank minis up really nicely, then you dont need to do as much quality on following rank troops since they wont be seen as well.

Im a big fan of using washes too smile.gif Makes things so much quicker biggrin.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Dec 3 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I'm going to break with tradition and have some useful advice.
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 17 2010, 12:59 PM
Post #7

Floreat Gerboa

Thanks mate, appreciate the tip - although I'd like my entire ranks to be decent looking. For instance, if I put in the same effort as the Silver Helm on my front ranks and then did the rest like the spearman above, I'd be pretty right. I don't want to paint up 5 good figures and 15 crap ones though - I took up the WHFB stuff to improve my painting, not to find new ways to avoid having to do it! smile.gif I know enough of them already...

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 17 2010, 01:01 PM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Tyra_Nid
post Jun 17 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #8

Not Insulting You
Group Icon

Group: Support Veteran I
Member No.: 3,092

No, I dont mean do a crap job - but you say you dont want to spend 10 hours per fig, so just lavish all that attention on the (visible) front of unit, while doing a decent job on the rest. No point doing them all perfectly because you just wont notice it.

Bad effort to result ratio smile.gif

--------------------
QUOTE(Chaplain_Fortis @ Dec 3 2014, 04:13 PM) *

I'm going to break with tradition and have some useful advice.
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 21 2010, 11:09 PM
Post #9

Floreat Gerboa

Not a completed model but a work in progress trying to improve my skills. Trying to master shading and highlighting beyond washes and drybrushing. Got me a nice Rackham model to play with and some painting lessons on DVD. Only done the cloak for the moment, plus basecoated the skin.

IPB Image
Wulfen Prowler, Front (work in progress)

IPB Image
As above, back

--------------------
+Quote Post
CursedDice
post Jun 21 2010, 11:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,416

Looking good mate, those Rackham minis are very nice!
+Quote Post
Colostomyboy
post Jun 22 2010, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 3,414

If you've chosen that model, I think I know the DVD you're using. Is it the French/Spanish guy? GD winner?

--------------------
"I roll more 1's than binary"
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 22 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Floreat Gerboa

Yep, thats the one - Laurent Esposito Mas. Very talented guy. The cameraman needs to shut up though - if you want to get drunk with that DVD, take a belt each time he says "Absolutely". You'll be buckled in 10min.

Also ordered a set of different lessons from a different company/artist. I like perspective.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blue Cypher
post Jun 22 2010, 06:51 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 8

It's a good start. Can I ask why you chose red though? It isn't very forgiving as you really need a large range of reds to highlight & shade it properly otherwise it can look brown in recesses & orange/pink on highlights.

--------------------
"I am Silas Hand, Chosen of the Inqusition. I am the fist of the Emperor here, and I decide who dies!"
Inquisitor Hand
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 23 2010, 11:24 AM
Post #14

Floreat Gerboa

It was the colour used on the DVD.

--------------------
+Quote Post
Blue Cypher
post Jun 23 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 8

Ahh fair enough. Last time I tried wet blending & glazes I used blue but that's because the tutorial I was looking at used blue biggrin.gif

--------------------
"I am Silas Hand, Chosen of the Inqusition. I am the fist of the Emperor here, and I decide who dies!"
Inquisitor Hand
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 25 2010, 01:53 AM
Post #16

Floreat Gerboa

I drifted back to blue, white, silver and gold again and did some more pointy eared gits - this time a Repeater Bolt Thrower team. Still need a few finishing touches, but I'm fighting a cold and can't fully concentrate on the project at hand.

<<picture removed for it was hideous>>

Some learnings from these - the antique gold look is a lot of work for limited gain on these sorts of troops. Extensive shading on the white tunics is probably not necessary and the quick version thereof (washes) looks rubbish. And bases maketh the model.

Not sure what will be next. I might tackle one of the Reaper minis that arrived recently. They look tempting...

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 27 2010, 11:54 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
Vulcan
post Jun 26 2010, 02:46 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,465

I have found that an EXTREMELY thin (as in roughly 100/1 water to ink) black wash over white yeilds surprisingly good (and subtle) results.
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 26 2010, 03:42 PM
Post #18

Floreat Gerboa

I'll give that a go - see what happens.

Next on the desk will actually be something BACK on the desk - that bolt thrower. The red gems aren't working, will switch them for blue. And it needs basing in a big way. Guess thats tonight's job. What a hard life. smile.gif

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jun 27 2010, 11:56 AM
Post #19

Floreat Gerboa

Mostly finished the bolt thrower and crew now - finished enough to shelve it and move on to something else. I don't mind doing High Elves - I like the colour scheme from the book and some relatively simple techniques and neatness (which I'm working on) reward you with a nice result.

Here's the better pictures.

IPB Image
Bolt Thrower

IPB Image
Crewman #1

IPB Image
Crewman #2

IPB Image
Quarrels

IPB Image
Objective Marker

The learnings are posted above, but quickly - shading on the white the easy way doesn't work (must try that ink suggestion on the next batch), antiquing the gold is a waste of effort, basing the bolt thrower itself made a big difference. So I'm reasonably happy with the results overall.

So now its onto the next item to paint. Will it be more Elves? Will it be some Reaper minis? Or will it be the cat? Stay tuned. smile.gif

This post has been edited by voyager: Jun 27 2010, 11:58 AM

--------------------
+Quote Post
voyager
post Jul 20 2010, 12:44 AM
Post #20

Floreat Gerboa

Been a while between posts. Turns out writing the airbrushing tutorial ate up a lot of painting time. Hopefully the next sections will be easier.

Still gotten a fair bit painted. Just trying to refine techniques and become a better painter. There is some horrible face work here, and a few are still works in progress, but here they are.

IPB Image
High Elves on a tray, group shot

For my fortnightly D&D group, here are the minis I've been working on for the players. All are Reaper figures.

IPB Image
Kuarsti "Cricket" Meritos (Human Paladin)

IPB Image
"Traveller" (Dwarf Rogue)

IPB Image
Nathaniel (Human Bard) - !!!WIP!!!

IPB Image
Gabriel Van Geldon (Human Fighter) - !!!WIP!!!

IPB Image
E'la'lar'eyn "Ella" (Elf Ranger NPC)

Still got to do Indiana of Whitehaven (Halfling Wizard/Rogue) and Crickets horse Falhaya to finish the set, plus a couple of other notable NPCs for the hell of it.

Learnings: need to work on my blending, there is only so much you can cover up with washes and sneaky tricks. A lot, mind you, but there is still a limit. Still need to practise faces - should go do another rack 'o heads with spare parts.

Next up I'm working on the last D&D character plus I have another Silver Helm and a Bretonnian Errant Knight in progress. There's a Space Marine around somewhere too, and I'm setting up for another go at that Wulfen.

--------------------
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 04:21 PM